something burning

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2011, 07:15 PM
hairdye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something burning

Guys
Not sure if you can help or not but here goes, a couple of weeks ago i had my cambelt and bearings changed. I had also asked if they could steam clean the areas that were a bit dirty to brighten the engine bay up . When i picked the car up and drove home (about 1/4 mile) i could smell buring like oil or rubber. This must have been when they changed the belt or steam cleaned and it was burning off. I put the car away as i have been giving it a good clean and so it hasnt been used until today . Once the engine was started and in the drive the burning fumes smell came back and i can see where its coming from, at the bottom of the belt case theres a metal casing for something that runs the width of the engine and then a steel pipe comes out near to there. Do you think something is wrong or will it be from the steam cleaning and the cambelt change leaving oil? i switched it off as i thought it might catch fire as there was fumey smoke coming from the bottom metal thing. Does anyone know what the metal thing at the bottom is for?
cheers for any help you can give.