Is this detonation?!

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2002, 03:49 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hello all,
I'm just about to fit a Dawes Device this weekend when I put my new boost gauge in.
Of course now I'm getting paranoid, but I'm concerned that there is a slight 'rustling' or 'crackling' noise as well as the induction and turbo noise when accelerating.
I don't have to really boot it to get this sound, although it happens only when the turbo is spinning.

It doesn't sound like the 'pinking' I rememeber from my old Vauxhall Shove-it, it's really not very loud - but I'm worried nonetheless.

Any tips would be great - I hate to think I'm minutes away from needing an engine rebuild, and I'm losing confidence in fitting the Dawes device!

Spec - Euro MY99, with decat downpipe, SS back box and Unichip (mapped by Power Station). No other engine/induction mods.

Edited to say it's only ever run on 98 RON Euro Super Unleaded (I'm based in teh Netherlands)

[Edited by IanWatson - 4/25/2002 3:54:20 PM]
Old 25 April 2002, 04:47 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Whats your boost when you hear it? Are you on WOT?

I would describe det as a cracking sound too, kinda like someone crumpling a large plastic bag under the hood.
Old 25 April 2002, 05:00 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Stupid question here, how do you solve det problems? Would changing the spark plugs help?
Old 25 April 2002, 05:01 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

greetings RT! Bit late for you?!

not necessarily WOT - maybe half-open or so - also not resticted to high-load scenarios - does it in first as much as fifth..

No idea what boost is (not fitted the gauge yet ), but I've never had an 'over-boost' problem or messed with it at all.

The ECU map is fairly conservative, according to Power Station, although it's around a year since I had the Unichip fitted.

It really isn't an obvious noise - maybe more like a very small sandwich bag being crumpled rather than the full heavyweight Tesco's effort....

Does anyone have a .wav file of a detting engine?

cheers
ian

Old 25 April 2002, 05:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Higher suspicion if you have a Unichip. To be brutally honest I would not put a Dawes anywhere near a car that had been mapped with a Unichip previously unless the mapping was being setup with a boost controller unless you have access to something like DeltaDash (and then the numbers will be altered because of your unichip!) Absolute minefield to be honest mate.
Old 25 April 2002, 05:56 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Take it to a dealer, put it on the Select Monitor and see if there is any Knock or retarded ignition? Check the fueling too, it may be running lean.....

Matt
Old 25 April 2002, 06:25 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Take it to a dealer, put it on the Select Monitor and see if there is any Knock or retarded ignition?
Got a problem there. I've got a Jap import.
Old 25 April 2002, 07:07 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Red face

John - thanks for replying.

Reading your post - I think I may actually have a Superchip. It's not the one that fools the ecu and is generally considered risky on Scoobynet. It was recommended by Powerstation in Cheltenham.
Apologies if this is actually the case

I think I need to do a little underbonnet scouting - and re-read your Dawes faqs

Matt - you're right of course - things just seem take ages in Amsterdam, slightly different approach to customer service

No excuse - shouldn't risk a few grand for the sake of lazyness!

Old 25 April 2002, 09:39 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Katana,

I was actually talking to Ian I know of some dealers that will still diagnose a Jap import. Power Engineering and Scoobysport also have a Select Monitor and the list of DeltaDash owners is growing by the day....

Matt
Old 25 April 2002, 10:53 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Hehe, no problem. I was only hypothetically saying what if I had a problem. I don't think I do, but you'll never know when that dreaded day would come.....especially since I'll be joining the Dawes club soon.
Old 26 April 2002, 12:59 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

Ian, if you're getting the noise on half throttle, I would quite safely rule det out. I don't think your engine would still be in one piece if you were det'ing with only 50% throttle.

I've never encountered det, or heard anyone encounter det, with a decent management setup and half throttle.
Old 26 April 2002, 08:59 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian, I know it may sound simple, but have u checked all the heat shileds under the bonnet, they are quite 'tinny" and can make a noise similar to what u decribe, as u've had a DP in the shield may be vibrating... just a thought

Cheers
Fergal
Old 26 April 2002, 11:00 AM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - I'll check for the rattle.