Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

rough idle, help please

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2002, 01:25 AM
wrxjoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi, My car (MY95wrx) started this morning quite rough, trying to rev it gently again felt rough. Seemed to drive not too bad around town but I could hear from the exhaust, that it was still rough.
Now with my tiny bit of knowledge (mainly from reading this site) I suspect my coils would that be a good guess? and am I correct in thinking the only test is to take them off, one by one and see if it makes any difference? (is it just unbolt and they come off).
My next question is the connectors under the dash, is it just the two with black 5mm square'ish connectors on as I can only find these, plus one with a bullet connector and one with a multi-plug connector, and what is the correct procedure for getting the codes. I'm nervous about messing about with these.
Finally is there something else I should be looking at.
Any help really appreciated.

[Edited by wrxjoy - 4/24/2002 1:44:19 AM]
Old 26 April 2002, 04:06 PM
davecoombs
Scooby Regular

I would take the coil packs out one by one, remove the rubber thing that sits over the plug and check for splits and also that the contact is not covered in sh*te. Replace the packs that are shafted. Its a bit tricky but not impossible as I am not engine minded at all.
What do you mean by rough ?
Old 26 April 2002, 11:08 PM
wrxjoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave,
I now suspect the fuel, as my next-door neighbours caris also playing up (sounds like its missing on idle and very rough as he trys to rev it slowly. We both have filled up recently at the local BP station. So I am now going back to optimax (price increases or not).