Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Have I got a cat?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2002, 10:48 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I am really considering getting a de-cat downpipe (Scoobysport?) as everyone seems to rave about them. However I am a bit worried about emissions as I think I may have already had the 2nd cat (how many are there!) removed. Below are some pictures of the Magnex exhaust which came on the car, can anyone confirm what has been removed?

One from the backbox forward:

and one from the side (between the wheels):

So what I am asking is - if I go for a downpipe, will I need to have the old cat put back on (to pass the MoT)?

Cheers,
Jamie

Old 19 April 2002, 09:50 PM
TC3
Scooby Newbie

hi, you only have one cat on the car and thats behind the turbo you should be able to see it you look from the engine bay,the pipe that comes off the turbo gos in to a big cycliner thats the cat. the other piece that look like they have been remover is the silencer, and i thing it would fail the mot with out it. i hope that helps......

tc3......
Old 19 April 2002, 11:31 PM
tommorules
Scooby Regular

Wink

If your neighbours complain of turds in their garden then you probably have a cat.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Old 20 April 2002, 09:05 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

TC3

See here http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=87611

Jamie

Can't see properly from your pic. Yours looks like an early car and I am not sure if it would have had two cats in the first place anyway. Others on here will know.

If you do have two cats, you *should* pass on the front cat only if everything is hot and the car is fuelling correctly.

It is very unlikely you will pass on the centre cat only with a decatted downpipe. This cat does not run hot enough or is big enough to clean things up on its own.

Old 20 April 2002, 09:44 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dave,
It is very unlikely you will pass on the centre cat only with a decatted downpipe. This cat does not run hot enough or is big enough to clean things up on its own.
That's odd because Pete @ SS told me that they *should* pass with the centre CAT and a SS DP as long as it was got really hot before hand - i.e. take it for a good thrash just before doing the emissions check.....

Shouldn't it pass fairly esily if it's got just the OE DP cat but not the centre a la PPP cars?

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 4/20/2002 9:45:36 AM]
Old 20 April 2002, 05:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Matt

That's odd because Pete @ SS told me that they *should* pass with the centre CAT and a SS DP as long as it was got really hot before hand - i.e. take it for a good thrash just before doing the emissions check.....
Well, i'm no expert but was going by what has been posted on here over the past two years, and I was under the impression the general concensus was that it would not pass with just the centre cat. I might be wrong. Anyone actually got their own car to pass on just the centre cat with a catless downpipe care to comment?

Shouldn't it pass fairly esily if it's got just the OE DP cat but not the centre a la PPP cars?
That's what I said mate

But, when I said "If you do have two cats, you *should* pass on the front cat only if everything is hot and the car is fuelling correctly" it was a bit of a clumsy reply - I actually meant should pass on the front one *only* if the rear was removed - as per the original question.

[Edited by Dave T-S - 4/20/2002 6:02:46 PM]