Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

uk forester s/t centre diff 99my 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2011, 11:13 PM
iamthemadmonk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk forester s/t centre diff 99my 5 speed

Hi all new to subaru,s and the forum, had my forester only for 6 mths or so but love it, perfect allrounder kids etc ,but just recently having a prob when hot drive train binding on any sort of lock , fine when cold. After some searching it looks as its the centre diff??. the cars has done 160,000 but full comprehensive subaru dealer history and is in superb nick, however it was used for several mths on worn front tyres and new rears, would that be enough to toast the c/diff?. I have been told that sometimes you can tell by the colour of the trans oil if the v/c has failed as it contaminates the oil turning it black? however the oil in my box is perfect loooks as if it went in yesterday, but the oil in the rear diff is horrid dark? having been it the trade for over 30 odd years thought I would swop the centre diff for a s/h unit first just to be safe!!. so bought a unit, then removed my unit, only to find I had bought a phase 1 and my car has a phase 2 !!!. so its still on the ramp in bits. after more research re trans numbers it seems getting info on uk foresters is hard work my trans no is TY755VN1AA, and I cant find ref to it anywhere? looked on all the charts etc. my gearbox has an oil pump on the rear feeding an external cooler. I cant seem to find ref to what the number mean to work out which box etc will match rear ratio,s etc, still a bit unsure if the c/diff is 100% at fault externaly it looks fine and I cant see any way off testing it out of the g/box? As the car is in such nice nick seems a shame not to get it right. Will a c/diff from any 99 on have a phase 2 diff that will fit? if so best places to get one? thanks for any help.
Old 29 March 2011, 12:34 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea on your problem but

a) Have a look at http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/ for part number. You'll then see what parts work on what cars

b)For any Forester specific questions check out http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f75/

Mark