Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Please tell me the advantages to my plated limited diff before i smash the thing!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2011, 10:13 PM
gavin876
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please tell me the advantages to my plated limited diff before i smash the thing!!

Hi,

Ok I've had my Impreza a couple of weeks now and it has a prodrive plated limited slip diff in the gearbox (6 speed box)....I've yet to have the car on the track so maybe there brilliant I don't know..
What I do know is the constant clunking when I'm driving slowly is starting to get annoying and embarrassing

Are they really worth it or shall i get it replaced with a standard front diff?

Gavin
Old 28 March 2011, 07:00 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Plated diffs are really best used on track, on road cars they are annoying. If the car is used predominantly as a road car you will see little benefit from it but lots of annoyance.
Old 28 March 2011, 07:53 AM
carpboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil you use makes a big difference to the clunking
Old 31 March 2011, 11:19 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

I'ma ssuming you have a dccd box - in which case don't drive slowly with it locked up at all. Leave it fully open in manual in you have dccd a or just fully open if an ordinary dccd. My 6 speed dccd with a plated rear diff lives fully open 90% of the time and makes no noise. I only lock it a little bit if it's greasy or raining heavily, and would only lock it fully for something like getting going in snow or whatever.

The noise won't cause any harm but it is annoying.
Old 31 March 2011, 06:00 PM
gavin876
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I'ma ssuming you have a dccd box - in which case don't drive slowly with it locked up at all. Leave it fully open in manual in you have dccd a or just fully open if an ordinary dccd. My 6 speed dccd with a plated rear diff lives fully open 90% of the time and makes no noise. I only lock it a little bit if it's greasy or raining heavily, and would only lock it fully for something like getting going in snow or whatever.

The noise won't cause any harm but it is annoying.
Hi,

No the box is a six speed but has no dccd, its been fitted with a pro-drive plated diff so not alot i can do with it..

Just spoke to the previous owner and he assures me that when i get it on the track i will forgive all the clunking when running around in it each day...Will wait and see