Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

URGENT ADVICE: Warranty Not Covering Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 09:28 AM
twobeers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

I wonder if anyone could offer me some helpful and constructive advice regarding an issue I now have...

I purchased an L reg, MY94 Turbo from a Subaru dealer just 2 and a half months ago. The reason for purchasing this car was because it had low mileage (14,500) on the clock and I believe this to be genuine because the car is from a dealer. I received a full years Subaru warranty with the car, however, just 2 and a half months on and 3,000 miles later, whilst on a tight blind bend exiting from an A road, the clutch in the car seized up, preventing me from using the gearbox. The car was immobilised and I required recovery.

Under warranty cover, the car was recovered back to the dealer and I received a coutesy car from a rental company. However, upon inspection, the dealer now claims that the clutch has burnt out and there is damage to the flywheel. They wish to replace both items with brand new parts and say that this is not claimable under warranty because it's 'wear and tear'. They now wish to issue me with an £1000 bill.

Where do I stand? The clutch showed no indication of slippage, burning or any other wear, until it suddenly seized up whilst on a dangerous corner. I have barely driven the car and with 17,500 miles on the clock should the clutch be even failing?

Anyone experienced a similar problem and do I have a case to argue this with Subaru?

Regards

Twobeers
Old 16 April 2002, 09:32 AM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

You should get someone independent (AA?) to inspect it for you. If they agree with the dealer, case closed. If they say it wasn't wear and tear then you have something to argue with the dealer.
Old 16 April 2002, 09:41 AM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Hard to believe this is wear and tear with such low mileage.
Old 17 April 2002, 02:21 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

We had a clutch replaced under warranty on our MY95 it went after 23k because the pressure plate exploded and Subaru piad for a complete P1 clutch for our car.

Two weeks after getting the car the clutch went then the above happend 23k down the line.

A Subaru dealer in Botley Hants wasn't giong to pay for the clutch to start with unitl i said i want my money back because they sold me somthing that was not upto their inspection standards as in their sales blurb"B******t"
Old 17 April 2002, 07:28 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

I believe that they have to fit the flywheel in some cases because there is a different type of clutch fitted now Upgrade, Twin plate converted to single plate.
Clutch depending on level of abuse should last 30-36K miles or 10 launch control starts my old MY99 £666 inc.Vat for Parts devil clutch.

Tony
Old 17 April 2002, 08:12 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I've never heard of a clutch giving way like that where abouts are you? I had my AP updrated clutch fitted at Subaru4you for just over half that IIRC.

Dont know where you stand on the warenty though.. if its only done 20,000 miles it does sound quite low but its not too uncommon.
Old 17 April 2002, 09:40 AM
twobeers
Scooby Regular

Hi all

Thanks for all you comments... it's good to know i'm not the only one. It's resolved now - not to my complete satisfaction I hasten to add - and I intend to write up a full description explaining just how **** I believe Subaru's warranty & assistance cover really is (potential Scooby owners beware!)

The only saving factor in all this is that the dealer offered to pay 50% of costs and the '97 uprated clutch and flywheel has cost me £415. I am still waiting to hear whether Subaru are going to try and force me to pay the 5 extra days that were extended on the rental courtesy car.

Driving the Scooby again makes it easier to bear and the healing process is beginning to slowly happen...

With burnt fingers and much disatisfaction for Subaru,

Twobeers