Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TEK 2 & ECUTEK / Power Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 09:14 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just wanted to say that I went to PE today. Did an RR with TEK 1 and a Dawes ...

250 BHP
230 Torque
(12 degrees C approx, held boost on the RR was only 14.5 PSI, I've been seeing 16PSI on the road WOT in fourth)... all quite different from my old 802 ECU!

My car is an MY00 with no breathing mods, apart from an ITG Panel Filter.

Mervyn then plugged his laptop into my ECU, uploaded the TEK2 programme and hey presto ...

263 BHP
252 Torque ...!(Boost got to 17 PSI and held at 15.5 - 16 PSI)... the torque curve is generally 15 - 20 lbs higher from 2000 - 5,500 RPM!

Apparently these are the best figures acheived to date on a standard exhaust system! The ECU is going to be ''Learning'' for a short while too, so it could get better!

Comments:
The car is much smoother without the Dawes unit on, though I have to say at the moment the Turbo does not seem to spool up quite as early as with the Dawes ... though driving around Uxbridge, etc. this afternoon did not give too much scope to test it!

I'll keep you posted on how the ECU learning goes and if possible, popback to PE for a second RR to get more figures ... If anyone can tell me how to upload scanned images onto my posts, I'll scan the graphs and do so!

Steve
Old 11 April 2002, 10:39 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

http://www.aviz.co.uk/imagepost

Follow this guide to post pics

Look like V good results BTW
Old 12 April 2002, 08:19 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

One question,

You say it's smoother than the Dawes but that it doesn't spool up quite as quickly. What size bleed hole were you running on the Dawes?

Matt
Old 12 April 2002, 11:00 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Could I then be looking at around 250bhp with a standard exhaust and dawes on a MY99 (as I have the good ECU already)?

Wonder how much difference the slight changes to the TEK1 over the 800/801 chip makes.

Richard.
Old 12 April 2002, 12:03 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Talking

I also had my car at PE this week, its a MY99 with an 801 ECU.
With a Dawes, running 15psi boost it gave 256bhp and 248lbs torque which is jolly good.
I then tried the Dawes and the Tek1 which showed no improvement, possibly because my car has the better ECU to start with.
Then we tried a Tek2, without the Dawes and this gave 266bhp and a bit more torque across the range, it also removed the slight torque spiking the Dawes gives as the turbo spools up quicker.

The test was interesting because it shows just how good the Dawes/AE801 combination is for a very small cost.
The downside is that the Dawes is overiding some of the Subaru saftey measures to protect the engine, notably the boost solenoid.
Old 12 April 2002, 12:08 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Smile

Lambo,

My thoughts eaxactly - Dawes is a great cheap mod., but there must be more of a risk attached taking the Boost solenoid out of the equation ...

Re the TEK2, would you say the turbo spools as quickly as TEK1 plus Dawes ... Have you tried Dawes and TEK 2?

Steve
Old 12 April 2002, 12:26 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ohh I sooo wanna get a Tek2 now
This is the £500 job is it?

Old 12 April 2002, 12:32 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mega,

Yes 500 smackers, but it does do the biz as you can see! ... can't you sell something or someone ..??

Steve
Old 12 April 2002, 12:39 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The Tek2 should come in lower - I had mine 're-done' again a day or two ago (I had a very early one) & the boost comes on low & fuelling is upped a little more at low rpm - very very smooth now low down.
Having a Tek2, I'm just waiting for the Tek3 now & hoping there's some sort of 'upgrade package'
Old 12 April 2002, 12:40 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

do you know what the TEK1 @ WOT at higher revs is fuelling at,compared to TEK1+dawes @ WOT at same high revs?.

I cannot understand why they are not fuelling the same as each other,unless they are,but PE/ECUTEK are advising that to help keep bore temp lower not to run a dawes with TEK1 at basically TEK2 boost levels.

dawes is great value for money but I too would rather run a TEK2 without dawes and let ecu have full control of boost.
Old 12 April 2002, 12:43 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just rung PE, helpful guys, (although a RR was going on the the background )

Emm, strongly tempted, £500 with figures close on 270bhp 260lb/ft with the decat, yikes I wannit bad

Has anyone bought one of these babies and fitted it DIY??, seems a good way of doing it just out with the old, in with the new affair.

John
Old 12 April 2002, 12:43 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ping, didn't try Tek2 and Dawes because the Tek2 raises the boost anyway, it went up to 16psi so I don't think there would be any benefit in doing this.
Old 12 April 2002, 12:50 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

Forgot to ask PE, whats the guarantee on the Tek2?

Anyone know?
Old 12 April 2002, 12:54 PM
Ted Ed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have the Tek1 fitted and have been speaking to David at PE about the Tek2 and fitting it yourself as I did my Tek1.
Hopefully they will be avaliable to buy DIY in about 3-4 weeks.

Simon
Old 12 April 2002, 12:58 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Lambo,

Fair point ... but it would encourage the turbo to spool up quicker still perhaps?

Steve
Old 12 April 2002, 01:00 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Smile

The turbo spools up slightly quicker, and therefore more low down torque, with the Tek2 compared to the Dawes because they have increased the fueling at low revs. Possible ? downside for this is that the car might not pass an MOT emission test.

I myself have decided to stick with the Dawes, and std ECU. I haven't gone for a big boost pressure increase ( 15-16psi ) so it should be pretty safe.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:06 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Ping. Some very nice increases.

I would have thought around 235 as well.

Lambo - good to hear that a car with the same set-up as mine (Dawes installed soon!) gets around 256bhp and 248lbs torque - incredible difference.

When I tried John Banks Dawes device on my car ealier this week it felt so smooth.

Richard.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:12 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

I am also sticking with the dawes for now,until I hear what sort of intake temps people are getting on track with the TEK2.when I was trying john banks PPP ECU on track with dawes,I found I could not run any more boost than the standard ECU+dawes,or the intake peaks got a bit high.that was one thing I do like about the dawes,when the temps started to get high I could pit and lower the boost.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:19 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ping, gone for the Dawes because of the cost. The Tek2 IS good value (£625 + VAT fitted by PE, including set up on the rollers), but I don't want to start spending loads of money on my car. To get the most out of a Tek2 you also need a better exhaust and an induction kit etc etc. Its a slippery slope from there....

Scotsman, car is nearly std, cept for a Scooby sport downpipe and an ITG filter. In totally std form it put out 218bhp and 205lbs torque ( at Powerstation )
Old 12 April 2002, 01:30 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I changed the DP to improve the low down torque which it does by allowing the turbo to spool quicker by removing the backpressure caused by the cat. The rest of the exhaust is std, mainly because I wanted to keep the noise down, its a wagon and the sound from noisy exhaust tends to come up through the boot floor.
Changing the DP does give a very worthwhile improvement and the car should still pass its mot because of the centre cat.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:35 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

whilst we're on the dawes subject and all that ...

I have an ITG + decat mid and TSL BB and run optimax, thinking of getting the dawes MBC...but heard of scary stories re:running too lean and hot after increasing the boost.

So if I get an AFR meter, and fit it before the MBC and note the AFR levels and assume them to be 'safe' (even though I think it might be running lean due to ITG and decat zorst - and lots of blackness in tailpipe also) but anyway, if I then increase the boost and try to maintain 'original' AFR readings, would this be a good safe plan to get more power?

Old 12 April 2002, 01:50 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Spence7, Yep quite right fit an AFR before you add a Dawes and keep an eye on it for a few days. A black exhaust indicates its running rich, which is the std setup, so you should be seeing a blue light on the Dawes AFR.
Adding a Dawes will have no impact on the fueling, you just need to know that the engines getting enough fuel to keep the engine temp down at higher boost.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:51 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Lambo,

I didn't realise there was a Cat in the centre!

Have you ever had the emissions checked to see if it will pass ye olde MOT?

The free flowing DP must negate some of the benefit of the Dawes spooling the turbo quicker yeh? This may explain why I feel more of a difference than you with the turbo spool on the TEK2 as opposed to the TEK1 and Dawes

Didn't you post a thread a while ago in which you looked at a quiet BB - Remus. You were going meet with annuverScooby wagon to have a listen, etc? Did this happen and what was the outcome. Mines a wagon too and noise is an issue for me.

Steve
Old 12 April 2002, 02:20 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Lambo,

Ears bleeding is not such a good idea I agree. Stephen Dones account on his website of his first run with a full decat PE system is quite enough to make some of us think twice!

Would you say that your DP gives about the same spool up benefit as having the Dawes in situ?

Steve
Old 12 April 2002, 02:36 PM
spence7
Scooby Regular

cheers Lambo, I guess the difficulty is knowing what is a safe AFR on boost and what's not. I mean if I note the AFR without Dawes, and assume that's safe, any increase in boost will make AFR more lean, so in theory I can't make any adjustments assuming I want to maintain original AFRs. This almost says I need an exhaust temp monitor or something so I know at which AFR range gives no increase in temps.

Or is there enough 'play in the system' to allow more boost with no effect on AFR. Can't believe that. Sounds a bit risky if increasing AFR at all. (!)
Old 12 April 2002, 02:42 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ping, I went out in Stephens car the other night, hes now got over 300bhp and 300lbs torque by the way, hes got a cat in it now and the exhaust was quite quiet, but then his car is a saloon, the K&N induction system he is using was making more noise ! I must say it was f**king quick !!

I don't think adding the Dawes causes the turbo to spool up earlier, it just that when it does spool up it does so a lot quicker. The turbo starts to get going at 2000 rpm and by 3000 its on full chat.
Its the DP that results in an earlier spool up.
Old 12 April 2002, 02:43 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Hmmmm, difference between BBs... no, not really. Neither are as free-flowing as the SS one (had one of them too, got a bit noisy , but the differences are so minimal it makes little odds. Or didn't use to, anyway, but I've had the Tek2 done since then & haven't gone back to the Remus since then... might give it a bash & see what happens.
The bigger difference is the way the cars are driven - the Remus is rather more stately about life, so I seem to drive like less of a nutter with it on
Old 12 April 2002, 03:02 PM
PING
Scooby Regular

Lambo,

heard about Stephens car yesterday at PE - Merv was rather chuffed I think with the results ... Not much else I can add to your comment!

So the DP gets the turbo going earlier, the Dawes spools it quicker ... more torque, earlier and quicker!

Perhaps I should try the Dawes on my car now, not to increase boost obviously (keep at 1.15/1.2ish), but to encourage quicker spooling ... wodya fink?

Nom,

It'll be interesting to hear if the Remus is as good now with the TEK2 ...

Steve
Old 12 April 2002, 03:06 PM
Lambo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Go fo it Ping, you will definately get an improvement.
Old 12 April 2002, 03:09 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Lambo - DP as well eh - something I'll probably do as well - probably wait a couple of months until after the dawes is put in (spread the cost a bit )

Richard.

Quick Reply: TEK 2 & ECUTEK / Power Engineering