Air Filters.... Which way to go...

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 08:13 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,
Getting my full 2cents worth tonight...

I am putting a new air filter in the MY01 WRX. Big deal I hear you 280bhp'ers cry... well im new to this game so please bare with me!

The advise I keep hearing (thanks to the two guys in the MY01 WRX's at 'The Big One' on Sunday - some great cars there!) is that I should stay away from air filters that are oil impregnated as this can seem through into the 'thingy' and bugger up the 'whatsit'... (Sorry, im not very technical and quite new to having a large silver snail live under my bonnet!)

Yet the one make of filter most people praise highly is the ITG jobby - which if im not mistaken is impregnated with oil! So what do I go for?

1) ITG
2) K+N
3) something else... any suggestions? Whatever I use will have to be easily removeable as the car is still under warranty!

Thanks in advance gents!
Mak. ;o)
Old 11 April 2002, 11:04 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dear Mak

This is one of the most popular discussions on here at the moment, we personally rate the ITG filters very highly over all other panel filters and you will find most UK Subaru Tuners do too. There is talk of a foam element filter like the ITG clogging up over time and letting particles into the engine if not treated properly. This seems to be the case in hotter climates, but I have never heard of any problems here.

A panel filter may give between 2-5 BHP gains with an induction kit giving possible 6-8, whilst a cold air kit will give 10+ but you may have to be prepared for a remap with this latter method.

Other options include Induction kits from HKS, Blitz, K & N, and the cold air type induction kits from the likes of APS, if you need any help explaining the differences and info about any of these types please let me know and I'll be more than happy to help.

Jamie

http://www.j-w-racing.com
http://www.performanceexhausts.net
Old 12 April 2002, 02:17 AM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Got an ITG panel filter and am very happy with it.
I've not heard a bad thing said about it...although someone will prove me wrong now I've said that!

ITG cost is around 40-50 quid and takes minutes to fit.
I had mine fitted at the same time as a back box and together it DOES make a difference.

BOB
Old 12 April 2002, 09:15 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Only thing with the ITG filter i found is the airbox seems to be collecting fluorescent green goo.
Just remember to give it a wipe out now and again, i'd imagine this stops after a while, the goo can't be endless (can it?)

Paul