'Holy' Pistons - Thou Art Annoying..!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2002, 02:40 PM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi All,

My 60k miles, service historied, UK MY99 has gone bang once more...

Back in Christmas this year it had a new short engine, clutch and turbo as one of the pistons (2 or 3) was full of holes. The dealer could not find a cause for the problem.

For the following 4 k miles on the new engine, it had been smoking from the region of the turbo when hot. It was not over heating and I did not notice a major drop in the oil level. The dealer said it was due to the masses of oil that was everywhere when they replaced the engine (why did they not jet spray it off, who knows...). They could find no leaks.

After running it in as I should, just 4k miles later, at a continual 5k revs in fifth gear, the power dropped once more and it started running on three cylinders. No oil or smoke coming out of the back, no noise either before or after, no lights coming on on dash, using Optimax Fuel (was on super before xmas), had been serviced 2 weeks earlier and all fluids, plugs, filter had been replaced, ..!!!

Had it recovered (to a different dealer) and once more number 2 or 3 piston had holes in it. I got to see the piston and the flat top surface was black but had no holes. Between 5 and 20mm down from the piston top (flat) on one edge there were deep gauges and holes 5 to 20mm across. This dealer also notices that there was loads of oil everywhere and said that the damage is unusual.

The dealer will be trying to find a cause as opposed to just fixing the problem, but in the mean time, if anyone has had a similar problem or knows what items that are not the short engine and turbo (which were replaced) which may cause this then please let me know. *An explaination as to how these parts work and why they may cause the problem would also be great and hopefully useful to others*.

I do drive like a maniac wherever possible on clear dual carriageways and country roads, but never usually go over 6500 revs. I am sure the car should be able to take a reasonable hammering without blowing up !!!

Cheers for any info anyone has...

Regards,

Colin...
Old 11 April 2002, 02:50 PM
JohnS

Unhappy

Colin,

I've heard of one other similar case, where a faulty injector was diagnosed. It would work most of the time, but occasionally develop a fault and the engine would run very lean on one of the cylinders for a short while. It didn't take long before the det caused piston failure.

John
Old 11 April 2002, 03:30 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Angry

Colin

I think John has hit the nail on the head. Get the injectors cleaned and flowed, and particularly check the lead to the injector for this cylinder.

I'd be interested to see the plugs - by the sound of the failure you have leaned out on only on one cylinder, hence the failure.

Duncan
Old 11 April 2002, 05:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Or it might even be something as stupid as a dodgy ECU, occasionally not fueling on 2 and 3?

I would be inclined to get them to replace the ECU, injectors, HT leads and spark plugs as well as the engine? Perhaps even some of the sensors as well?

Hope you get it sorted,

Matt
Old 11 April 2002, 10:16 PM
Paul_H
Scooby Regular

If it is out of warranty, and you are having to pay for it, I would be asking why the dealer did not diagnose the fault in the first place. It sounds like they have done the repairs but have not corrected the cause, which has caused repeat damage.
Old 18 April 2002, 06:53 PM
COMPUCOLIN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your answers.

Subaru Extended Warrentees (Mondial) have given aproval for the repairs again. I think that they are replacing the lower and upper part of the engine and turbo again. I will check what they say about injectors and ECU.

Ta...

Colin...