Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boiling clutch fluid or something?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2010, 04:29 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Boiling clutch fluid or something?

Hey all,

Interesting one here. It would seem that after a few WOT passes, in gear, or even through the gears, the clutch pedal seems to feel quite horrible? Lumpy even. I have an API Exedy organic job in my 2003 STi which was fitted a good two years ago now - the car is mapped. Downpipe is wrapped, as are the other important parts of the exhaust system.

Does it maybe need bleeding? The clutch itself feels fine under normal operation, bite is still low, and isn't hard so I don't think it's anything to do with the clutch itself. I just remember reading something on here about the clutch fluid getting too hot on someones car..

Thanks in advance
Kosta
Old 18 November 2010, 05:05 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Hey all,

Interesting one here. It would seem that after a few WOT passes, in gear, or even through the gears, the clutch pedal seems to feel quite horrible? Lumpy even. I have an API Exedy organic job in my 2003 STi which was fitted a good two years ago now - the car is mapped. Downpipe is wrapped, as are the other important parts of the exhaust system.

Does it maybe need bleeding? The clutch itself feels fine under normal operation, bite is still low, and isn't hard so I don't think it's anything to do with the clutch itself. I just remember reading something on here about the clutch fluid getting too hot on someones car..

Thanks in advance
Kosta
Kosta It could possibly benefit from a fluid change, as it absorbs water and it is the water that boils not the fluid. If you had a full service with cam belt - the 'BIG ' service then all the fluids are all changed at that time.

But as you do those bits yourself, it has probably been missed out.

Change the fluid and see where you get.

David APi
Old 18 November 2010, 05:09 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey David,

Thanks for the reply. I had you do all the other fluids last year when I had the gearbox done, but I think I forgot to mention the clutch fluid to be done. So I'll give it a go. Any particular fluid to use?

Thanks again David.

PS What would you charge for such a job?

Last edited by ScoobyDoo69; 18 November 2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 19 November 2010, 09:37 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Hey David,

Thanks for the reply. I had you do all the other fluids last year when I had the gearbox done, but I think I forgot to mention the clutch fluid to be done. So I'll give it a go. Any particular fluid to use?

Thanks again David.

PS What would you charge for such a job?
Any fluid will do - Dot 5.1 is fine. We'd charge £48.00 + VAT. [ £56.40 inc ] Good luck, you know where I am if you need me.

David