Transmission "lash"

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2010, 02:27 PM
JamesWalker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission "lash"

Afternoon all.

Today I decided to determine the cause of the transmission "lash" or elastic band effect or low speed jerkiness or whatever you want to call it, on my 98 type R. So the problem or maybe not such a problem, just an annoyance is that when driving slowly, with ~5-10% throttle dtopping and starting, the play in the transmission is apparent and the car bucks front to back a couple of times, as if the engine is driving the wheels, then whe road speed is greater than the engine speed, i.e. taking up transmission slack then immediately it being under load again.

I read various threads on this a while ago and decided to go about replacing common culprits, while also giving the car better track performance. I replaced the outrigger bushings, installed a beatrush diff lock and pitchstop, so now the subframe is solidly mounted to the chassis and the diff is solidly mounted to the subframe. All of which had good results, fast shifting and then back onto power is rock solid. I also changed the diff oil for good measure.

The noise can be heard here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCXHcw6nalc

This is how it sounds when driving the car, so I was able to replicate it exactly while the car was not in motion.

I checked all CV joints for play and torqued all related bolts, in particular the hub bolts. All were fine, so I set about under the car to determine where the play is coming from. When rotating the rear of the propshaft to the rear diff entrance, the rear driveshafts rotate instantaneously so the diff is fine. All 3 UJs of the propshaft are also fine, with no play whatsoever. The propshaft bearing is also fine. This then leads onto the propshaft into gearbox area. The propshaft can be seen here to rotate while the car is stationary. I read somewhere that this is related to the dccd transfer gears and is not considered a problem, but I would like to remove this if possible, just for smoothness sake.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,