Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox stuck in 5th, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2010, 08:08 AM
Blackwood Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox stuck in 5th, HELP!!

I think this has been coming to me to be honest, just driving to work this morning, casually changing between 4th and 5th, changed into 5th carried on cruising, went to change down into 4th and.......5th.......still in 5th. Gearbox oil changed a few weeks ago, since then syncro has been feeling a bit tasty on 4th and 5th, doesnt want to budge when stopped and engine off, any ideas?? cheers.
Old 30 June 2010, 11:41 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

box is foooobed im afraid, mine has stripped 3rd and on saturday when messing about it locked in second and i had to LITERALLY kick it out with the engine stopped,,,, its working again though ( apart from 3rd still)

we will both be changing to another box,,,, if you get stuck taking it out give me a shout,,, i dont this a few weeks ago and its not that bad a job apart from getting it back on the engine tbh, done all of it on my own apart from that part
Old 01 July 2010, 11:27 AM
Blackwood Boy
Scooby Regular

cheers for the reply, probly would have tried to do it myself just aint got the time or the tools to do it, managed to get it to the garage after waiting 4 hours for the AA , only for the garage to tell me that it is definately the syncro , so a new box is definately on the cards, managed to find one that had come out of a P1, but with very ****e warranty, so have gone with a better one that apparently only has 20,000 miles on it, mint! think christmas is cancelled this year
Old 01 July 2010, 01:12 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

dont pay more than 250 quid labour for removal and fitting of the box tops and dont bother replacing the syncro just fit another box and then get the old box reconditioned fully incase it goes again
Old 01 July 2010, 01:18 PM
Blackwood Boy
Scooby Regular

well i was quoted bout tha for labour, an 2 b honest the guys that do it have looked after the car pretty much all its life so they are trust worthy, an the warranty i got with this newer box will cover me for a while at least, enough time for the demons to f*** off! lol
Old 01 July 2010, 01:44 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

mate a secondhand box i wouldnt bother with warranty unless its not far off a price of a normal secondhand as they aint gonna cover it anyway

my mate has done my second gearbox in my car in 6 weeks,,,, just down to bad luck tbh so im looking for another box to get it sorted aswell as gear options
Old 01 July 2010, 02:16 PM
Blackwood Boy
Scooby Regular

yea i spose, knowing my luck it'll go after any warranty i get with it expires neway, jus better safe than sorry like, did have a look at doin a 6 speed conversion but the ££s ran into the 1000's, plus it would mean new clutch setup, flywheel etc, wouldnt mind a lower ratio 5th gear tho, got plenty of power behind it like, see what this new one is like before i go changin nethin.

Trending Topics

Old 01 July 2010, 02:26 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

im totally the opposite, i want as high gear as poss hence i got UK ty54 box with 3,9 diffs, im considering converting mine to RWD and using the 3.54 rear diff with a jap drop down gear instead of the 1.1 and see how the car drives then
Old 01 July 2010, 07:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Blackwood Boy: What type and model year is your car? If you have a 5MT, probably 99MYand your gear lever is stuck in fifth, have you at any point noticed the box jumping out of fifth on throttle lift-off over the past few weeks/months?

The overwhelming likelihood is that you have the well-known issue with the gearbox input shaft stake nut working loose and allowing the fifth gear package to float back and forth on the shaft. If left long enough this will wear, and overheat the synchro cones, with the heat then cracking the hub, in turn jamming the shift collar, gear linkages and stick.

If this is the case then the gearbox as a whole is far from "foooobed", as per post #2, it can most probably be repaired fairly simply and without a full disassembly. Can even be done without taking it off the car.

Also note that if you've found a replacement, and you are going to use your existing rear diff, it will need to have the correct drop-gear and front final drive ratios, or you'll break it pretty quick (and have an evil-handling car in the meantime).
Old 02 July 2010, 10:57 AM
Blackwood Boy
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info, spot on in fact, the car is a JDM 99 WRX and the box was indeed jumpin out of 5th gear for about a fortnight before she seized, the new box i have got matches the diff ratios and should be ok, that is if the transmision code is true , it is the same as the old one but with only 20,000 miles on it.