Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Should my Intercooler Waterspray light up when I use it??

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2002, 07:47 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks, just to say that my new scoob has come with an IC waterspray fitted but when I first pressed the button on, I noticed nothing. No light and the switch didn't feel like a switch in the on/off sense, kept pressing it and gave up eventually. More like an ATX pc power switch, basically like a trip switch, nothing more.

Shouldn't the IC button light up?
Can you not switch it off, does it just switch itself off after a set time period? It does work, as my hand found out today, but I cut the ignition soon after

Cheers guys,

Nick
Old 01 April 2002, 01:36 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

there are two standard water spray systems.

One has a pressable switch which merely blasts the intercooler for either 5 or 10 seconds when you press it.

The other has this above but also another switch marked auto which does have a light, This automatically pulses when intake temps rise above a certain mpoint although I dont know what that point is.
Old 01 April 2002, 04:31 AM
RT
Scooby Regular

My MY01 JDM STI RA has both a "Auto" and a "On" function.

The "Auto" is a 2 position on-off switch. It is triggered above a certain RPM and MAP.

The "On" switch is a toggle, much like the horn button. It turns the spray on for about 5 sec then it automatically shuts off. If you need more you'll have to press it again.

ASIDE:
To aid the activation of the "On" switch without having to reach forward, look and fumble, I've had it moved to just behind the gear lever next to the handbrake (almost similar to Evo7's position). This would be just in front of the mirror position adjustment switch. I can now hit it a lot quicker without having to look down. We reused the same socket, only had to lengthen the wiring.

I've also installed a "rally water pump", some high pressure atomising nozzles and a 8L coleman insulated cooler (latter in the trunk). The pump's a Jabsco unit rated up to 40psi. Produces a real fine mist compared to the std item. Cooling is important in the tropics, and where traffic is often start-stop. This setup works well. If you ice the water, it will stay cool for couple of hours.