Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

CHECK ENGINE WARNING LIGHT-HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2002, 07:41 PM
paul clarke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Any advice/ideas please as to why the check engine warning light came on on the way to work this morning approx 6 miles into the journey and then approx the same distance on the way home again tonight?my car is 98my turbo recent piston slap mod/service.I've checked its got correct oil level,isn't overheating and runs fine although its un-nerving with the warning light on obviously for a reason,is there anything i can check myself prior to taking the car to the dealers on wed when they open as i need my car for work in the morning.Any comments gratefully received.
Old 30 March 2002, 08:55 PM
paul clarke
Scooby Regular

WORK IS LOOMING!
Old 30 March 2002, 09:13 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry mate don't really know. I think that light comes on for various failures from the not too important to the oh sh*t kind. I think there are connectors located under the steering column which when connected produce flashing lights indicating the fault code and hence the broken bit. Sorry I'm sod all use as I've only seen it mentioned on here. Hopefully somebody in the know will answer.

If its still under warranty I'd go to work anyway

Pat
Old 31 March 2002, 06:42 PM
paul clarke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pat,thanks for the reply,the car is under warranty and i need the money so i went to work,the light came on again 5-6 miles into the journey and car feels down in power although that could be my over active imagination but on the way home tonight it didn't come on!?Cars eh?I don't know if it has any bearing but i've recently changed the rear box and centre cat for a magnex system and its currently running on its first tank of super unleaded since i've had it,thanks paul clarke.
Old 31 March 2002, 09:14 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Paul hope you get it sorted mid-week

Pat
Old 01 April 2002, 02:48 AM
cr4kwh0r3
Scooby Newbie

Talking

There are two sets of diagnostic connectors located underneath the dash by the steering coloumn. A green set for running diagnostics and a black set for memory diagnostics. To find out what the warning light is... you need to connect the green connectors, this will flash a code through the check engine warning lamp, long flashes= 10 short flashes= 1 ie 3 long flashes and 2 short= code 32, once you have found the code, either post it or email me as I have all the fault codes, and possible reasons for them. Hope this helps
Old 01 April 2002, 09:57 AM
paul clarke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the above thats great.Paul.
Old 01 April 2002, 03:50 PM
paul clarke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Problem sorted!As suggested i connected the black connectors together which gave me the fault code 32,i found a thread in general tech enqs which showed that 32 refered to the oxygen sensor,i checked this sensor and found that the component was unplugged from its wiring connector!I am presuming that the dealer left this unplugged when they performed the piston slap mod very recently,i certainly havn't unplugged this connector and its a snap fit.After re connecting the wiring and doing an ecu reset no fault codes are stored,BRILLIANT! Thanks for the two replies to my help request and even if you don't know the anwser its nice to know that other people are listening.
Old 01 April 2002, 09:04 PM
cr4kwh0r3
Scooby Newbie

Wink

where should I send the invoice?
Old 03 April 2002, 05:19 PM
paul clarke
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'll give you the address of the dealer where i bought it from,that should do nicely!