Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2002, 12:01 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are all aware of the clutch-judder problem that some Imprezas have, and the fact that this problem can be fixed under warranty.

My question is this. What exactly is the failure for this warranty to fix? Will my aftermarket warranty cover this problem?

Now I only have a tiny amount of judder, only when the car is cold, but I have noticed the car "snatching" at the biting point a bit, also when cold(ish). Is this a problem????

Anyway.... this is what my warranty covers.....

Anyone able to help me on this one, please?
Old 30 March 2002, 08:45 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

My previous MY99 juddered when cold but stopped after about 10 minutes. It was worse in cold/damp weather. I lived with it for 18 months. Along came snatching a little after warming up, but I put this down to wear and tear. If your car was within its normal 3 yr warranty the dealer would dismantle the clutch, examine the plates, and if wear was abnormal they would charge you I believe. If not they would advise you of problem fix it and put it back together under warranty. Judging your extended warranty, it mentions wear and tear, so I'm not sure. Check with your dealer first, I am only going on what I have read on this board before.

[Edited by Yorkie - 3/30/2002 8:49:16 PM]
Old 30 March 2002, 08:51 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Thanks... at long last a reply....

tbh - that's what I was hoping for.... past experiences so I can make a decision as to which step to take next.

How much for a new clutch fitting btw?
Old 01 April 2002, 02:44 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 01 April 2002, 08:11 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Its okay BURR, I'll answer again !!

I believe fitted at Subaru dealer £700 - 800.

Try GrahamGoode racing, they are much cheaper, and know the Subaru well.

I can't believe you haven't had much response on this topic. Perhaps you should have posted it in the main forum ?

Yorkie
Old 01 April 2002, 08:24 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Burr,

I'll tell you my story......My car MY99 Uk turbo, clutch started slipping @ 33000 miles. Took it to main dealer (Robinsons of Rochdale). I mentioned that it also had a slight judder when cold (the usuall symptoms) they stripped the clutch and said that the plate was worn and I'd need a new one. I had no choice but to orthorise it. The new plate and cover plus labour charge came to £550 (they forgot to take off the SIDC discount so it should have been £500, they agreed not to charge labour at the interval service). I was a bit gutted because of the age and milage of the car so i posted a few threads on here and got a reply from Shark. I told him my story and he recommended I asked Robinsons to make a claim under warranty (I had asked about this but they said wear and tear etc...). I phoned Robinsons and told them to put the claim in irrispective of that. They did and a week later I got a call from the dealer explaining their amazement that Subaru had athorised the clutch under warranty . I don't know for what reason they honoured the claim but I got all my money back. I presume the phrase "fit for purpose" comes into this a bit. A) it is resonable for the customer to have an expectation of a resonable life of the clutch.......B) No matter what the state of the clutch plate, judder is a fault and should IMHO be fixed under warranty. From what i undersatnd your warranty is an after market warranty therefore B may be you better line of attack.

I hope this makes sense and I haven't rambled on. e-mail me if you want to ask any questions.

Good luck

Guy
Old 01 April 2002, 09:23 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that reply, I just need some ammunition to fend off the "wear and tear" clause. I wonder if Subaru would back me?