Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine block oil sender point

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2002, 03:27 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Apologies for the slight cross topic, but I didn't think this really classed as interior as it's an engine bay issue

I want to know the best place(s) to put my electrical senders for oil pressure and oil temp. I know there is an existing oil pressure sender and that I can tee this off and put my gauge oil pressure sender there.

I intend to mount my oil temperature sender above the number 3 piston, using the relevant subaru threaded screw to replace the allen key one that's already there.

Now my question is, is it possible to tee off the point above the No 3 piston and use it for both oil pressure and temperature? I'm assuming the best place is actually by teeing off the original pressure sender (else why would subaru have put it there?). Is that the best place to read true oil pressure?

I'll probably only put the oil temp above No 3 piston, and tee off the existing oil pressure as I think that is the best way. Has anyone replaced the existing pressure sender and not bothered teeing it off? Is this purely to display the low oil pressure light, or will it also change the way stuff runs via the ECU?

Cheers for enlightening me
Old 28 March 2002, 04:51 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Are you using Defi gauges? The senders that come with the Defi's plug straight into the OE Oil Pressure location and the No. 3 blanking hole with the Subaru adaptor.

If you want some more info, you could have a look at Chiark's Gauges Site

Matt
Old 28 March 2002, 05:46 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

No Matt I ain't. I' minsatlling some Splitfire gauges but was just wondering what the oil pressure was at the point on the No 3 piston and whether it could be doubly used for both temperature and pressure at the same time, or whether I can only use it for temperature (via an adapter) and tee off the existing oil pressure sender.

If I had the money for the Defi's then I would have definitely got some
Old 28 March 2002, 05:49 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Just re-read your post.....are you saying you have removed the standard oil pressure sensor completely and now just use the Defi one? Or have you teed off the existing sender and got the Defi sender on there with it?

If the former, is it OK to not use the standard subaru sender and have no worries about the oil pressure being sent to wherever it was? (if that makes sense )
Old 28 March 2002, 05:57 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I may be completely wrong, but the OE sensor is really a switch. The signal coming off it is either 'on or 'off' depending on whether the pressure is above or below a set amount, which is too low apparently. It isnt a varying signal proportional to pressure IIRC so you can't use it. Hence the reason that if you add a pressure gauge with a settable warning light, the OE sensor is not worth having.

Justin
Old 28 March 2002, 07:51 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Question

Hmmm. So if I removed the original sender, put my gauge sender in its place, and the gauge sender was just wired up to my gauge....would I get a continuous check oil light due to there being no pressure signal from the previous sender?

The Splitfire gauge doesn't have a settable warning light, it's just an indicator gauge so I can see what the current fuel pressure is. Obviously if it drops, I know something is wrong.

I'm still unsure as to whether I need to tee off the original pressure sender to keep the signal from that as well as having the sender for my gauge at the same point
Old 29 March 2002, 08:08 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Like the man said, the OE Pressure sender is a switch which comes on at something like 15psi (which is usless because if your pressure is that low, I'd say your engine is already in trouble )

Take it out and replace it with your gauge sender, you won't get the Oil Pressure Warning light on because in Subaru's wisdom, they decided that no signal = ok and singal = warning ( ) which means that if the switch breaks, you just won't know it's not working. Stupid I know but it helps us. So what I did was just unplug the OE sender and leave the wire unattatched and put my Defi sender in the OE location.

I then put my Oil Temp sender in the blanking hole above No. 3.

Matt
Old 29 March 2002, 09:04 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Matt

That's cleared it up for me