Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox & Clutch Recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2010, 12:49 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gearbox & Clutch Recomendations?

HI Guy's

Can anyone recomend a Gearbox I sould get after mine went pop last night currently it has a P1 box and P1 rear diff, I know I should get a 6 speed but it is well out of my budget.

Is there a good 5 speed box that I can put in with rear diff and also can anyone recomend a good clutch? seen this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-Impreza...item2a02706aa6

is it any good?

thanks

Stu
Old 29 April 2010, 01:40 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to ask for recommendations like that you need to give us something to work with. Telling us what car you have, how much power/torque it develops, and how you drive it would be a start.

If as your username and avatar suggests you have a bugeye WRX, the obvious replacement would be an MY01-04 WRX gearbox. Why does yours have a P1 box/diff in there at the moment?
Old 29 April 2010, 02:05 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
If you're going to ask for recommendations like that you need to give us something to work with. Telling us what car you have, how much power/torque it develops, and how you drive it would be a start.

If as your username and avatar suggests you have a bugeye WRX, the obvious replacement would be an MY01-04 WRX gearbox. Why does yours have a P1 box/diff in there at the moment?
Sorry mate my head is up my A*** been a bad day lol

its a 2002 WRX bugeye running at 280 BHP it has the P1 diff and box in because the original one went pop as well (previous Owner replaced it in 2006) it has an exeedy clutch, do you know if the 2005 wrx Blob has a better gearbox as I have seen one with 30k and he can sell me the rear diff and box for £600 then I was going to get a exeedy clutch for £300 would they take 280 BHP? cant afford a 6 speed as I know that would be the best option

appreciate the advise guy' thanks

Last edited by Stuswrx; 29 April 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 29 April 2010, 02:16 PM
IJE71
Scooby Regular

Standard clutch and gearbox will take 280

Last edited by IJE71; 29 April 2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 29 April 2010, 03:14 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by IJE71
Standard clutch and gearbox will take 280
So would a 2005 Blob fit mine ok? as for clutch exedy? also do you need to replace the flywheel?

THanks

stu
Old 29 April 2010, 10:07 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stuswrx
So would a 2005 Blob fit mine ok?
I don't recall whether the 2005 box goes to the male front shafts and the push clutch - so check this. If it doesn't, a 2004MY one will definitely fit, along with its rear diff.

TBH don't see why the previous owner fitted the P1 box in the first place, its short ratios are not that well suited to a UK car. Although there's no obvious reason why you'd break one with the amount of torque your 280bhp will be developing.

6 speed is overkill for this level of power - unless you are totally lacking in technique/mechanical sympathy. Newage WRX gearbox (and matching rear diff) of known provenance and good condition should be more than enough.
Old 29 April 2010, 11:23 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

A standard box will be just fine. What exactly is wrong with your current box?

For clutches take a look at:
Exedy Racing Organic Anti-Judder Clutch + Lightweight Forged Flywheel Package - Just £499.98
Exedy Racing Organic Anti-Judder Clutch Kit - 7 Day Special

The above clutches will easily handle that power and another stage of mods. If you don't have any other mods planned a Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch Kit will also do the job and is £100 cheaper.

There is no need to replace the flywheel, but I always have them skimmed at the very least. An uprated forged lightweight unit makes a nice improvement to performance though.

Trending Topics

Old 30 April 2010, 11:36 AM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
I don't recall whether the 2005 box goes to the male front shafts and the push clutch - so check this. If it doesn't, a 2004MY one will definitely fit, along with its rear diff.

TBH don't see why the previous owner fitted the P1 box in the first place, its short ratios are not that well suited to a UK car. Although there's no obvious reason why you'd break one with the amount of torque your 280bhp will be developing.

6 speed is overkill for this level of power - unless you are totally lacking in technique/mechanical sympathy. Newage WRX gearbox (and matching rear diff) of known provenance and good condition should be more than enough.
Hi Mate,

Dont think i drive to bad but think I am going to get my box reconditioned and get the diff reconditioned at the same time so proberly sticking with the P1 box and diff, think Ross who had it before put the P1 box in because he was told it had stronger internals than the standard WRX box I think

Stu