Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

what mods to i need to change ty752 box to ty754

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2010, 06:57 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what mods to i need to change ty752 box to ty754

right ive got the box and diff from a UK car, im fitting it into a STI V3 and been told something about the starter motor will be a issue

what is it i need to do before i start stripping the box out to find the issue and also what else should i worry about too before i start doing the job as ive got a weekend ONLY to start and finish it which means no time to buy suprises

Please help me !!!
Old 18 April 2010, 02:10 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

anyone ????
Old 18 April 2010, 06:40 PM
si2000
Scooby Regular

As far as im aware all the 5 speed starters are the same its just the 6 speed one is different, you shouldnt have any problems as long as you have the matching rear diff.

Hope that helps
Old 19 April 2010, 11:07 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter motor will not be an issue, but the transfer gears might be as STI 3 have 1:1 transfer gears and a 4.44 front and rear diff. Your front and rear diffs need to match if you have 1:1 transfer gears. UK transfer gears are usually 1.1:1 and these therefore run a different ratio front and rear.

Hopefully that's what you mean re "I've got the box and diff from a uk car" and if, so should be fine. Sometimes the rear driveshafts can be different deopending on type of diff- a quick way to double check is to get the box details and diff details and give Dave o brien a ring at API engines (site sponsor). He's very helpful and can tell you straight away and has a large stock of driveshafts that he can flog you if you need different ones.

Cheers

J
Old 19 April 2010, 05:14 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the box and matching diff you wont have an issue. All the uk TY754 boxes use a 3.54 rear diff which as has been pointed out uses a final drive of 3.9 with 1:1.1 drop gears to give you the 3.54 at the rear diff.

I remember having an issue with the bell housing and the block. From memory I cant remember which starter bolt it was but one of them did not bolt to the block. I had to tap the hole in the bell housing and use a larger bolt to attach the starter. Unfortunately I am working away from home and cant check the box which is lying in the shed but the issue I had related to bolting the starter to the bell housing. I was using a Ty754VN4AA box on a phase 1 CDB engine.
Old 19 April 2010, 08:59 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Arch
I remember having an issue with the bell housing and the block. From memory I cant remember which starter bolt it was but one of them did not bolt to the block. I had to tap the hole in the bell housing and use a larger bolt to attach the starter. Unfortunately I am working away from home and cant check the box which is lying in the shed but the issue I had related to bolting the starter to the bell housing. I was using a Ty754VN4AA box on a phase 1 CDB engine.
I think it's the lower bolt on the starter motor that there's an issue with.

I knew when my TY754 box was fitted something was done regarding the block/bell housing, but, wasn't sure what. When my starter motor packed up, I had to drill one of the holes out on the replacement, and fairly sure it was the lower one.
Old 19 April 2010, 11:36 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

should i be worried about this job or can i just get a later starter motor to avoid this issue ?
Old 20 April 2010, 05:18 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
should i be worried about this job or can i just get a later starter motor to avoid this issue ?
Its an easy fix and takes 5 min.

Tap the lower hole on the box 12mm and drill your starter motor bottom fixing 12mm clearance. You can now use the std fixing for the top and a 12mm for the bottom easy as that. if you have the tools you could make a special stud 12mm one end and 10mm the other so you dont need to drill the starter motor, thats what i did.

hope that helps.