Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Can you adjust the clutch biting point?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2010, 06:41 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you adjust the clutch biting point?

I have a 2002 WRX which had an exedy racing (genuine not copy) clutch and lightened flywheel fitted about 6 months ago - it's now toast and slps in all gears, the bite point has always been right at the top, the slightest pressure on the pedal disengaged the clutch (in the first 1cm of travel).

I know it's a hydraulic system, is there anyway to adjust the bite point?

Booked in for a new clutch on Monday just in case it's oil contamination.
Old 10 February 2010, 07:03 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

No
Old 10 February 2010, 09:22 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Bugger!
Old 10 February 2010, 02:36 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes you can adjust the pedal position of the bite point to a certain extent. But mostly only when it's wrongly set and the pedal doesn't allow the master cylinder back to it's home position to properly fill with fluid again.

This may be close to what is happening in your case, but by the sounds of it the damage is already done and what your experiencing is just a worn out clutch.
Old 11 February 2010, 07:10 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Any tips as to how I can do that adjustment you mention? I'd like to have a crack at it before it goes for the new clutch - might give me a bit more bite to get there otherwise I might not make it the way it's going, especially up the hills!
Old 21 February 2010, 02:30 PM
pickup bob
Scooby Newbie

you adjust the clutch under the clutch pedal, the rod that goes into the master cylinder and that is connected to your pedal has a nut locking it in position on your pedal, loosen it think its a 12mm, then to adjust the pedal you need to turn the rod anti clockwise , maybe one or two rotations, its easier to turn if you take the R pin and shaft that holds the rod to the pedal mechanism of , then re assemble and see how it feels, youll probably need to adjust it several times to get right position for youself, hope that helps
Old 21 February 2010, 03:09 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Cheers Bob, as it happens after having the new clutch fitted by Subaru4you the bit is much lower and feels much more sorted.
Old 04 March 2013, 02:29 PM
redmanr29
Scooby Newbie

Just had pink box exedy and competition clutch lightened flywheel fitted 5wks ago bitting point is still very high like old slipping clutch just before i had this all fitted ive done the 500 mile breaking in, still very high and judders at 30mph in 4th and 1st unless i take off at 2400rpm which is very annoying cause ur looked at from other road users around u like ur some rally driver wannabe.. Car is a 2005 jdm sti and job was done by Autoeccosse Scotland who are reputable subaru franchise and they say this is fine, clearly not..so can i adjust mine in the sane way you describe above....

Last edited by redmanr29; 04 March 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 29 April 2013, 12:28 PM
mtiller
Scooby Regular

H'mmm mine is biting too low! I've got an Exedy Stage 1 and the thing bits about a millimeter off the floor. Also the pedal doesn't return the fully up position by itself all the time. And there is some vibration noise that stops if I put the clutch in. I'll have to get at the car tonight to see if I can resolve it using the above methods. It sounds like it's around the top of the pedals of I'm sure it's related.

Cheers

Mark
Old 06 August 2016, 02:39 PM
Cyb3rPr1m3
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mtiller
H'mmm mine is biting too low! I've got an Exedy Stage 1 and the thing bits about a millimeter off the floor. Also the pedal doesn't return the fully up position by itself all the time.

This is exactly the problem my son and I are having.

2005 WRX, we just had the clutch replaced. When we took it in with the bad clutch, it was biting right at the top of the pedal travel. When we got it back, the clutch bites almost immediately when it starts to release. At times the pedal stays on the floor, or 1/2 way up. And it seems to be difficult to engage in gears when driving.

Would you more experienced folks recommend adjusting the rod, or taking it back into the shop?

Thanks!!

Rob
Old 06 August 2016, 03:46 PM
turbotog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might sound stupid but I assume the clutch return spring is still fitted between the fork and housing?
I've not used exedy yet but have performed a clutch change on a Impreza . Pretty straight forward, and there shouldn't be any issues on a new clutch at all.. let alone on a new exedy.. I would go back to the garage and get them to have a look at it..
As for high revs to pull off.. wouldn't that be attributed to the lightweight flywheel and should be normal.. what weight flywheel is it?
Oh and as for rod adjustment.. do they automatically adjust with wear like a brake shoe mechanism? If not.. There shouldn't ever really need to be any need to touch the rod, so I wouldn't think adjustment would do much..
2Maybe someone else with more experience can chip in and help anyway..
Old 06 August 2016, 03:53 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Often race type clutches such as AP and Exedy need the pedal height adjusting after fitting. However if your clutch is toast it's too late for it.
Old 06 August 2016, 05:28 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cyb3rPr1m3
Would you more experienced folks recommend adjusting the rod, or taking it back into the shop?
Well you paid for a job and it hasn't been done correctly, so I'd say take it back.