Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

DIY Front mounted intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2002, 09:30 AM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was speaking with Bryan Mobbs yesterday evening and he had seen and spoken to a chap at some Japanese car show in the South, this chap was fabricating his own front mounted intercooler for a very reasonable sum, ie @ £500.
Does anybody have any other information on this, as this sounds very interesting.

Mark A
Old 20 March 2002, 04:08 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Mark

Can't help you with this but I think most people baulk at the pipe run involved and achieving access past the radiator. I know I did
FWIW I'm adapting a spare STi TMIC I had, welding an alloy water jacket around it and making it into a charge cooler. Looks like a Corsa radiator is just the job, very light, long and thin, this coupled to a Davies Craig high output pump and 32mm bore water tubing should help maximise the efficiency.
I'm keen to retain the near instant response I get from the current short route air feed from turbo to intake.

I may consider FMIC in the future but only if I use the short route and rotate the inlet manifold 180 degrees.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Andy
Old 20 March 2002, 04:48 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Andy

Bryan was saying that Forge constructed the IC core & ends for @ £250 with pipes produced by other company but he was unable to recall the name. Why do all the main companies charge so much for FMIC ?
Why could you not construct a new inlet manifold ? or how much would a group A manifold cost ?

Mark
Old 20 March 2002, 05:07 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

the problem with reversing the manifold is the position of the powersteering, alternator and air condtioning pumps.

It is easy to rectify on a non air conned car.

As far as reversing the manifold is concerned, there really is practically no difference in the length of the pipewirk, as the turbo is still at the back and the intercooler at the front.

Most people get a bee in their bonnets about this.

Drive a fmic equipped car and see if the "lag" is an issue.

In my car it really was undetectable.
Old 20 March 2002, 06:13 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
adam, when u fitting your hks fmic?
Old 20 March 2002, 08:28 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

A local(ish) intercooler firm wanted to build a FMIC and I said I would work with them using my car MY01. I didn't want too much chopping about so they have positioned it in front of the existing radiator.

Erly indications are however,that it is no better than standard in terms of overall efficiency. When compared with HKS & APS options,its much smaller and airflow is restricted by the bumper. in addition they appear to use better cores than I now have using internal fins to increase the surface area.

I have paid mainly just for parts but am wishing I haddn't. I could have had an APS TMIC and waterspray which I believe, as do Interpro my local tuners, would have been more effective. pic below. Save your money and buy a proven solution is my advice.

Old 20 March 2002, 08:33 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

I see what you mean, hugh end sections.
Could you not move the number plate to increase the air flow & any increase in the water temperature ?
What does the APS or HKS look like ?

Mark A
Old 20 March 2002, 08:55 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Mark - As I have an early car, if I turn the manifold the idle valve and throttle body poke through the bonnet The plan was to fit the throttle body on to the front of the existing manifold by cutting a hole and welding on a flange, then blanking the original hole.

Adam - yes I have driven a FMIC with octopus pipework and could feel a difference from my own car. Maybe some are better than others ?
If I rotate the turbo compressor housing 180 degrees, my i/c inlet runs down the o/s inner wing into the bottom of the FMIC. Flowing bottom to top and exiting over the top of the radiator via 2 x 2" pipes directly into a collector on the reversed throttle body. This is approx 70% less pipework than a Pace for example.

As I'm retaining the JECS ECU and MAF meter the lower system volume will give more accurate transient fueling resulting in 'crisper' response.
Old 20 March 2002, 09:13 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Cosie Covert- Gluuppp, hope you know what your doing :-)

Mark A
Old 21 March 2002, 11:04 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Mark,
Water temps appear unaffected. Number plate has no real impact as theres the bumper and a black bit below the bumper covering the metal structure, so even if I had no No. plate it wouldn't make much difference.
APS can bee seen at www.airpowersystems.com.au