Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Front Diff - STi

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2002, 10:00 PM
jonnyb
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi new to this, currently driving an MY98, took an STi (UK) out for a test drive the other day thought it was pretty damn good, seemed to understeer a little then all of sudden grip, dealer told me this was down to the front diff, did explain it to me but I'm afraid I'm not very technical.
Could someone explain to me (in english!) what it does/how it works.

Cheers
Jon
Old 18 March 2002, 10:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apparently it takes some getting used to from what the reviews say and those that have tried it, and you need to keep your toe in and let it sort it out rather than lift off = oversteer.

Some suggest that they may be seeing rather more of the roadside furniture than intended.

Sorry if this is a rather patronising link but it is general intro to diffs

As I understand it simply it will allow redistribution between the front 2 wheels in addition to the previous front-rear and rear axle L-R redistribution.

[Edited by john banks - 3/18/2002 10:11:07 PM]
Old 19 March 2002, 06:44 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You can get the same effect for yours by fitting a Quaife ATB diff - perhaps better in fact, the Quaife is gear driven and I guess the Suretrac is a viscous clutch/plate type affair? Quaife is expensive though, about £500.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but improves corner exit speeds considerably......albeit sideways in the wet . However, as John mentions, if you lift off it's back to normal understeering-pig-land....be very, very careful....

The big question of the moment is whether the STi (UK)'s rear diff is also Suretrac....and whether the diff housing is the same as earlier Impreza's

Richard
Old 19 March 2002, 08:12 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

According to all Subaru literature, it has Suretrac LSD's front and rear on the Type UK STi......

Matt
Old 19 March 2002, 09:00 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks - so who's going to compare the diff housing's to see if they're the same between old and new models?

Richard
Old 19 March 2002, 09:09 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Dowser
Already done it when fitting the exhaust LOL

The STi7 rear diff housing is about 14mm wider than the MY01/2 WRX, and about the same size as the earlier STi's.

The front diff does make for some entertaining handling - having driven them first, I fully understand why the Prodrive Live STi's have open front diffs By all accounts putting 18's/some decent tyres on takes some of the waywardness out of the front end
Old 19 March 2002, 11:24 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Dave - lol! Good insurance on Prodrive's part

How does the diff compare to a my99/00 Euro car though While I'm very happy with the Quaife at the front, another £500 for the rear makes my eyes water!

Richard