Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Steam from radiator area... help please.

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2002, 01:53 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This morning while waiting in the queue at the McDonalds drive through I notice a bit of steam coming from the front of my car (98 WRX) (engine temp was still on normal).I Popped the bonnet just afterwards with engine still running and it had almost stopped, then did, but the steam I momentarily saw was coming from the right hand side of the radiator area (when facing the car from front). I noticed condensation on the underside of the front of the bonnet which confirmed it was steam. I then went back home and left the engine running on the drive way until the fans came on to see if it happened again but it didn't. I think this may have happened a few weeks ago as well, while in traffic (thought it was exhaust from the car in front) - once again engine temp was normal as I remember looking a the gauge. It was wet this morning and it may have been water dripping onto the manifold or something but has anyone else seen this happen? I had driven a couple of miles before though so I guess most 'loose' water should have run off already... I checked the water level half an hour ago and it was still right up to the top so there doesn't appear to any leaks. Any thoughts on what could cause this and could it be normal?
Old 17 March 2002, 05:23 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hello there

I have noticed this on several cars over the years. At a guess I would say its water either dripping onto the hot radiator or water stuck in the cooling fins after it has been raining or washed. You've checked everything anyway so I'd say forget about it. Hope this puts your mind at ease

Pat
Old 17 March 2002, 06:57 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Pat, I hope you're right. I'll keep a close eye on things for now to be on the safe side.
Old 17 March 2002, 08:15 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

if you havent got any temp problems then it is most definately where it has beeen raining and water has been hitting the rad as you drive along, then when you stop the outside of the rad heats up the rain water and turns it to steam, i have had people come into the garage before and ask how much a rad repair would be, after stopping in traffis and noticing steam from the bonnet...
p.s. looks even better when the fan comes on and blows the steam out lol
Rob