Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

scoobysport and noise

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 07:46 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I already have a scoobysport back box and will be plunging for the downpipe and the mid next week. Will there be any change to noise levels cabin and exterior wise?
Old 15 March 2002, 08:44 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Talking

YES.

I went from WRBackbox to Scoobysport D/P and centre and the noise is, . . . well, how shall I put it, . . . 'quite noticable'. I got used to it fairly quickly. Inside the car it is ok, you can hear various noises from under the bonnet and a very deep throb from the exhaust. Overtook the wife full bore in second tonight on the way home from work and she said it was bloody loud, bit like being taken by an aeroplane. But don't let this put you off the smiles per mile with the performance boost are well worth it. Just be ready for the sound, you'll love it. honest

Piers LoFi
Old 15 March 2002, 08:53 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Wink

One question - are u married?

If so the missus will hate it (unless she's a car nut) so u will have to put up with the constant nagging about embarrassment and headaches.

But the sound is very addictive and definitely worth the hassle, just teasing you to floor it at every opportunity

Go on you know u want to.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Nutta,definately louder.You can kill the noise by getting some top quality carpet underlay( £15) and laying it into the boot.Cuts noise by about 30%
Old 15 March 2002, 10:46 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Noisier, yup, but you'll have had a lot bigger increase in noise level by just adding the BB. It gets a lot 'harder' with the DP/mid - sounds loads better, but drones. Gave me a headache after half an hour!
If it's too noisy, you'll have to change the BB to a quieter one. Can't see any chance of getting rid of the DP/mid once you've got them
Old 16 March 2002, 09:01 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

The noise levels do increase a bit and continue to increase for a while afterwards (I found anyway), but you do get used to it. After a while it feels quiet so you drive with the back windows down and try to find roads with high walls on either side. Then you get bored and decide to go for a louder exhaust.

Or is that just me. Looking forward to the BPM I'm picking up this afternoon

DaveW.
Old 16 March 2002, 11:43 AM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Cool

Richard,

My wife loves it, and she's not a car nut. I just phoned her before I got home from Scoobysport and said it was earth shatteringly loud. On my arrival she seemed dissappointed it wasn't louder - so I escaped that one, just. Then she saw the bill.

Piers LoFi
Old 16 March 2002, 02:09 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Piers, you're a lucky man...
(MY97 with full SS exhaust)
Dropped my Mrs off at Woking station the other day, rumbled out of the carpark gently, then realised the next corner was perfect. Close, high walls, nice and damp, good sighting for traffic and two lanes wide - full power and a big old slide, talk about awesome with the windows down.
On the other hand she had her head in her hands at the back of the que for a ticket, everyone looking and grumbling. Got a right roasting for that one!! She's not a fan!!!!!!
Count yourself lucky if she likes the noise.
Old 16 March 2002, 03:07 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no better sound than a fully warmed up Scoob with the full SS zorst IMHO

I only have the back box and it still makes me smile

When its on full song u will be looking for lots of tunnels,I'll never forget being stuck in the Hatfiled tunnel on the M25 once whilst they cleared the road, then all of a sudden we were off into a clear road and obviously being inside a tunnel I couldnt resist,being summer the windows were rolled down, When I ripped off up the road the sound was FANTASTIC, Downside I recieved a few unkind hand jestures and some builder shouting at me as i passed him, Db's obviously too much for him.

P.s. neighbours say they can hear me coming from half a mile away, lucky people

Dave

Old 16 March 2002, 03:08 PM
Rob Mo
Scooby Regular

missus thought it was loud with just the b/box.

at low rev's not too much difference, I have a wagon, and people have said it will be louder than in the saloon.

as I pulled away from scoobysport 3 weeks ago, I quickly went from a grin to a full on ear to ear, as you rip up throught the rev's the zaust just begs people to look and try and keep up, as well as asking you for just those few revs more.......

the missus didn't moan too much under normal driving, but was a bit shocked when i put my foot down.... tunnels, high walls, any echoing areas are a 'must' detour, and the dry suck on idle is exquisite... the solenoid opening and closing and turbo whistle up are more obvious...welcome to race car styleee..

incidentally, the missus now claims to hear me coming home from some distance away, so a cup of tea is nearly always ready as I get in.....(unless I have p1ssed her off again somehow!)

enjoy!

rob

Old 16 March 2002, 06:16 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
thanks for the replies guys! looking forward to next week now.

i used to have a 93 wrx with a full scorpion, hope it is as loud as that was!
Old 17 March 2002, 07:50 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

Deep Singh,

Do you mean that carpet underlay in the boot will reduce noise levels effectively in a 4 door Impreza or were you talking about a 5 door? Anyone else tried this?
Old 17 March 2002, 09:03 AM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Scoobysnacks,

Today I am going to put carpet underlay under the rear seat and boot carpet of my wagon, assuming it stops raining at some point!

Will post again once done with results.

Cheers
Tim
Old 17 March 2002, 02:28 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

Question

Rob

so that noise like someone blowing over the edge of peice of paper is the solenoid opening and closing. Being a complete engine idiot, what does it do. It seems most obvious on a very light throttle.

Piers LoFi
Old 17 March 2002, 04:04 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Carper underlay installed under rear seat and boot carpet in my wagon - definitely more bearable at a steady 3000-3500rpm e.g. 80 on the motorway.

Still makes a nice noise even with windows up when you boot it and at higher revs. Windows down it sounds fantastic

Tim
PS WR Sport/Magnex resonated/Scoobysport