Juddering...

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2009, 01:49 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Juddering...

Hi,

Got a couple of problems here I think are worth investigating. I've not had the car long and it had no SH with it (98 2 litre wagon non-turbo, 103k). I noticed that there was a slight juddering of the car at low speed, such as pulling away from stationary etc. Once I get going it normally improves. I've been using auto's for so long now I thought I just needed a bit of practice with the new clutch but I found yesterday during a long drive that there was some serious juddering occurring in third in particular. It happened when I was accelerating after a corner and it was really erratic, as if I was suddenly gaining then losing power. It actually made the car shake quite badly, as if I was skidding on ice. It meant that I couldn't pull away quickly and just felt like it was so s-l-o-w. Perhaps it's linked but I also don't like overtaking in fifth (such as on the motorway) because it seems to have no oomph and I just can't get it to accelerate even with my foot flat on the floor. Once I get going it improves and is quite fast but there is just no acceleration at higher speeds. If I swap down to fourth it helps with the power but I soon have to change back again because I'm doing 70. The juddering seems to happen generally at lower speeds and generally when I'm accelerating. There was another juddering (very slight) when I braked, but I thought this might have been the ABS. It was about 5 times per second as I braked gently from high speed.

I've got limited experience mechanically and it's my first subaru but I've read that there is a possible bug with the ECU which causes problems in third and that there is a known clutch judder on some models. I don't know whether I've got a hydraulic or manual clutch - can you advise?

I thought it could be either one of the following (or maybe all three!):

1) A bug, probably unfixable, perhaps a mechanical or ECU bug
2) Brake issue, binding on and/or warped discs or drums
3) A slippy clutch

The last thing I want to do is to pull the clutch out as I need it as an every day runner but does anyone have any idea what it could be and how I could run some checks without taking it off the roads?

If I do have to pull the clutch out how difficult can I expect this to be, how do I do it and is there a refurbishment kit I can use myself or do I have to put it into the garage or do I have to buy new?
Old 15 September 2009, 08:18 AM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

Just an update - I've realised that there's an intermittent acrid burning smell, which I would have imagined would be the result of friction as opposed to a rubbery or plastic smell caused by something like a heater matrix or a fan belt. It smells more oily and mechanical. At least, that's my interpretation. It seems to occur very weakly when I get out of the car after a journey but you can smell it inside the car and in particular when I'm accelerating hard.

I've also been watching out for brake judder, but it doesn't seem to occur if I'm braking while the clutch is released (pedal down), and it coasts to a smooth stop. That would suggest to me that unless this changes it's probably not warped discs etc.

Thanks
Old 15 September 2009, 11:31 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The sudden loss and then gain of power is a very similar symptom to what I experienced when I had a dodgy spark plug mate.
The car would pull and then bog down and then pick up again, a little juddery.
If you had no service history when you bought the car would suggest you start there and change all 4 plugs, and whilst you do it, check the coilpacks are all intact and not cracked / falling to bits.

The burning smell doesn't sound good though, have a look at your exhaust pipe and see if the car's dumping out unburnt fuel - if it is then I'd defo have a look at your plugs, you can do this yourself, there are a few guides out there - good ones on Nasioc I think, it'll take you a couple of hours. And you'll want some socket extensions etc.
Oh and be careful when taking the coil pack bolts out as they can seize and if you snap em off can be a right pain to resolve.
Old 15 September 2009, 12:45 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips. I've cleaned and regapped two or three of the plugs a couple of weeks back but couldn't get access to the others at the time so thought I should buy new ones and strip the engine bay apart to get in and do a proper plug change. Do you have any tips on this? By the way the plugs looked in reasonably good condition with no unusual markings, although the gaps were wide by quite a bit I think.

How can I tell what the exhaust's putting out as well? Also what are the coil packs and how could I check them? Does anyone have any thoughts about the burning smell?

The problem seemed to be there a little since I bought the car a few weeks back and last weekend was my first long distance high speed drive. This was when I noticed it becoming more serious.

It may or may not be a factor but I have used two tanks' worth of Redex injector cleaner and last weekend changed the oil and filter. The filter was a smaller diameter than the one which was on but the sealing face was the same size. I also used Wynn's engine flush before I refilled it.

Thanks again.
Old 15 September 2009, 12:54 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Regarding the spark plugs, I've just remembered when I was changing one plug (the rear passenger side one) I couldn't get very good access and the cable was wedged in so tight that when I pulled it the metal insert came out of the moulded cable end and remained attached to the electrode on the plug top. I pushed it back in as best I could and used a spark plug tester which flashed ok and the car has been running apparently ok, but I'd planned to get a replacement (scrapyard) HT lead for that plug just in case.
Old 24 September 2009, 02:23 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Slystav
Regarding the spark plugs, I've just remembered when I was changing one plug (the rear passenger side one) I couldn't get very good access and the cable was wedged in so tight that when I pulled it the metal insert came out of the moulded cable end and remained attached to the electrode on the plug top. I pushed it back in as best I could and used a spark plug tester which flashed ok and the car has been running apparently ok, but I'd planned to get a replacement (scrapyard) HT lead for that plug just in case.
Erm.....that doesn't sound great to me lol.
Sounds like you might have damaged the coil pack to me. Worth checking.
The coil packs are the rubber boots that fit over the ends of the spark plugs, and you then have plastic plugs in the engine bay that plug into those in turn.
They're a bugger to get access to I know, so it's probably quite easy to damage 'em.

If the car's running very rich (i.e. if it's chucking unburnt fuel out of the exhaust) you'll probably notice the smell and see a lot of evident moisture around the backbox tailpipe.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 24 September 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 25 May 2010, 10:16 PM
jocko258
Scooby Newbie

I HAVE HAD SAME SORT OF PROBLEM,WILL TELL ALL.: WHEN I ACCELERATE HARD JUST BEFORE THE CAR NORMALLY BOOSTS ITS LIKE U HAVE JAMMED BRAKES ON ENGINE SEEMS TO LOSE POWER AND THEN ITS FINE . DOESNT SEEM TO BE MISSING OR ANYTHING NO BURNING SMELL OR SMOKE . WOULD IT BE SPARK PLUGS AND LEADS NOT SURE. PLUS DOESNT ALWAYS DO IT.
Old 01 June 2010, 07:30 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by jocko258
I HAVE HAD SAME SORT OF PROBLEM,WILL TELL ALL.: WHEN I ACCELERATE HARD JUST BEFORE THE CAR NORMALLY BOOSTS ITS LIKE U HAVE JAMMED BRAKES ON ENGINE SEEMS TO LOSE POWER AND THEN ITS FINE . DOESNT SEEM TO BE MISSING OR ANYTHING NO BURNING SMELL OR SMOKE . WOULD IT BE SPARK PLUGS AND LEADS NOT SURE. PLUS DOESNT ALWAYS DO IT.
STOP WRITING IN CAPS MATE!
start by regapping your plugs. You have the normal symptoms.
Old 08 June 2010, 11:07 PM
jocko258
Scooby Newbie

cheers will check ,,
Old 24 June 2010, 08:32 PM
jocko258
Scooby Newbie

found out that cleaning the boost solenoid wiv carb cleaner..
Old 24 June 2010, 08:32 PM
jocko258
Scooby Newbie

all fixed