Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Best Exhaust system for a stock P1

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 10:59 AM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking at getting more power out of the p1, its completely standard at the mo, and just wanted to know what sort of systems fellow scooby owners thought was best. (any feedback from p1 owners in particularly would be helpful!)

To be honest "loudness" would like to be kept within reasonable levels if poss!

cheers

tin
Old 12 March 2002, 11:33 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Scoobysport downpipe, with original centre section, and P1 upgrade backbox ie not the silent Sti version that the P1's were originally supplied with. Nice noise - no louder than standard car until you get to about 4k on a full throttle opening then it lets you know it's there. Seems to spin up faster and generally feels more urgent. Might be psychological but it works for me. Plus ITG filter as well - now the dumpvalve can be heard as well

I was going to stick at that but I've cracked and am now going for the full SS exhaust, which will be put on the car later this month, partly because my wife didn't notice the changed downpipe until my friend pointed out the difference in noise.Grrr.
Old 12 March 2002, 07:55 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Hello,

my P1 was standard, i've just (in the last 3 weeks) changed it for

a full HKS Super Dragger system with downpipe.

Performance wise I would never believed someone if they said changing the exhaust would make a difference, but does it ever, the turbo spins up so much quicker, and there is more of a punch when it does go.

This is a second car so it is bloody noisy (not fussed about that),
I can wholly recommend it though.

It also has a habit of popping & banging loudly on gear change/over-run now when the exhaust gets really hot.

That's part of the fun of owning a scooby though for me.

I'm not sure of anyone who makes a quiet system for them!

Chris
Old 12 March 2002, 08:41 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

sccobysport downpipe magnex straight pipe middle/no resonator and blitz back box...sounds nice but loud
Old 12 March 2002, 09:02 PM
andrew h
Scooby Regular

Scoobysport downpipe mid section and backbox car now produces 296bhp on a rolling road.
Although it is still a bit on the quiet side for my liking.
Andy
Old 12 March 2002, 10:07 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Well I can recommend the Scoobysport Downpipe and HKS Mid and Rear - a bit quiet for my liking - but then my previous exhaust was a BPM system - excellent also - but very loud

Cant say I noticed any difference at all when I originally changed - perhaps a bit more low down torque and a little more top end power - say about 10bhp - but then I'm used to driving fast cars anyway, that is, when I'm not having head on's with other cars!
Old 13 March 2002, 11:19 AM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the replies.. seems alittle more thought and research is required.

any1 got the P1 backbox fitted? any big differences?

cheers
Old 13 March 2002, 11:51 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Cool

If big noise is a problem then a Scoobysport backbox is probably not for you. It is pretty frikken loud and evil. Performance is wicked though.

You may want to go for a Prodrive WR Sport BB or the P1 stamped BB. The Remus BB is said to be very quiet.
Old 13 March 2002, 07:08 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tinsta,

Have P1 backbox only at mo and looking to add SS down pipe and centre section soon.

The P1 backbox is definitely far better than the std backbox. Not quite as vocal as SS but has a nice rumble to it at low revs. Above 4k rpm it really comes alive and sounds great. I find it easy to live with on long trips although others notice it drones. It does get a fair bit noisier though once the exhaust is warmed up.

Definitely worth swapping from the std STi backbox whichever you go for. Its probably the esaiest and most satisfying mod you can make.

Wilf
Old 13 March 2002, 10:45 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

b5m

I think its obviously a personal opinion - the Scoobysport is quiet compared to the HKS and is un-noticeable compared to a BPM - HKS is acceptable with a bung in

Personally if I was just thinking of changing the exhaust I, now after doing it sso many times before - would not bother changin it at all....... you live and learn, leave it as it was produced.... (waiting to be flamed)