Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dawes AFR - is this normal....

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 08:39 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Fitted the Scooby calibrated group-buy Dawes AFR today. Just wanted to check if it is behaving similar to other peoples' fitted to an MY00 (AE802).

At idle and off boost none of the lights are on except occasionally I get a flicker of 1 or 2. At WOT in 4th I am seeing about 13.5 PSI held and the blue light comes on and stays on the whole way up the rev range (v. rich).

Do other people get the spurious lights when off WOT & the blue one at WOT ?

Also, I earthed it to an earth wire behind the fog light switches rather than direct to the negative side of the battery like it said in the instructions.

Thanks,

Andy.
Old 05 March 2002, 09:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal.
Old 05 March 2002, 11:19 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just fitted mine including the Dawes and haven't really played with it yet Just finished. The lights sequence do seem a little strange, maybe I should consult the manuals Did you fit yourself ? I used the + and - from the ECU feed (or should I say that steve did) The feed I found is live once the ignition is on.

I haven't mounted the AFM yet, as I'm not sure where to fit it.... Bloody bright though. After first fitting thought something was wrong as I had no lights, but as the car warmed up on came the lights.

I haven't had time to play with the Dawes and am getting 0.5 bar on boost, and feels quite good. Not sure what boost to try. Factory settings for now

Cheers Phill C
Old 06 March 2002, 11:23 AM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Hi babber,

Yep I fitted mine myself in about an hour. I'm using + / - connections from behind the fog light switches and pin 136 / 21 from the ECU. I'm driving up north today so I'll be able to monitor more closely.

Regards mounting - the leds seem very directional. If you view them at an angle you don't see much. I was going to just stick it to the dash put that makes it point downwards so I might think again on that. No time to fit & set up the MBC so I've got something to look forward to over the weekend !

Andy.
Old 06 March 2002, 03:20 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Right had a little play with it (Dawes, no wise comments) on the way to work this morning. I'm now boosting at 1.1 bar, instead of 1 bar, and the car feels quick The AFM seems to be working fine as well.

Three questions:-

1) At what pressure will the fuel cut (in bar)

2) What is the maximum boost recommended for a MY00 running a MY99 (brown 801) ?

3) What colours LED are best on the AFM, what colours are bad...

Cheers Phill C
Old 06 March 2002, 05:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Blue and green are good at full throttle full boost over 3000rpm.

Stay about 1 PSI 0.07 bar below fuel cut IMHO. Depends on how accurate your gauge is - many underread so you could be closer than you think. The other option is to find fuel cut and wind it back 1 PSI.
Old 06 March 2002, 09:01 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,

Was thinking that about finding fuel cut off and winding back, but wasn't looking forward to be thrown through the windscreen LOL. My gauge is a little short of 1.2 bar, but suspect it is over reading. Haven't been thrown yet

The lights are right then, thank god.... Sorry I don't understand them yet, and the instructions don't help much. I think you need to understand Turbos / cars, etc before you read them. Sadly I don't...

Well feedback, IT'S BLOOBY FLYING.... Misses borrowed the car and I phoned her and she said "christ, how much have you spent now, it soooo fast"

Cheers Phill C
Old 06 March 2002, 09:14 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

Has anyone got a picture of the Dawes AFR yet?
Old 06 March 2002, 09:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Finding your fuel cut is a think to do in the dry on a straight bit of road without other cars around you. I am trying not to be a drama queen, but the first time it has happened by the time you notice it! Go to fifth gear and floor it from 2000 to 5000 RPM and you will find fuel cut if the boost is high enough. It works on a timer over about 4 seconds or so of held boost. The MY98s used to do it all the time - I figure best to know where it is and what it feels like rather than not know. Then you can set it and drive with confidence. The gauges just don't seem accurate enough to know where it is going to be!
Old 10 March 2002, 01:17 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

John,

Am now running around 1.2 bar which does drop to 1.1 at higher revs Haven't hit fuel cut yet and don't intend to The car is flying and surprised a guy in a 911 Turbo yesterday when I pulled out and overtook him (on a private road) and I didn't crawl past him. Oh did he bite, and almost lost it on a roadabout.

AFM is blue all the time under WOT, so I guess the car is happy. Might try and add a little more boost

Well from a Hesitating bag of **** to a flying machine, after changing the ECU and fitting a Dawes......Even the missis can see the difference the Dawes has made.

Am loving it, loving it, loving it!!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 10 March 2002, 01:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Don't dice with fuel cut. Get a Knocklink and lift it by all means if that is the route you want to go down, but I wouldn't go any higher. Have you found where fuel cut is on your gauge yet - essential to do IMHO as above.
Old 10 March 2002, 01:32 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Wink

you are braver than me running 1.2 bar,I would be too worried about overboost cut while over taking a bus.
Old 10 March 2002, 01:38 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well I think John is saying that you should find it, then back off a half a turn or so ? You need to know where it is, as the weather is always changing and what works for the warm weather might be too much for the cold.

Cheers Phill C
Old 10 March 2002, 01:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yeah find it once not in 2 inches of snow like today unless you happen to have a private airfield as well as a lot of private roads, in which case I move next door to you and you become my best m8 We have two working fuel cut lifter circuits now
Old 10 March 2002, 02:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

does a two inch deep impression of ones face in the bonnet mean you've found fuel cut?

the dawes makes the car an awful lot more responsive, and quite a lot quicker, and is pretty safe as long as you don't get too greedy.

Once you hit fuel cut, wind it back. It's not good. for car or face. best avoided
Old 10 March 2002, 03:02 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

To be honest I don't want to hit fuel cut, as sometimes I do forget my seat belt is it really that bad ?

My mates boss has an old airfield so might go up there and try it out!

Cheers Phill C

PS Isn't raising the fuel cut a bit silly ??
Old 10 March 2002, 08:34 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Just fitted the MBC and did some set up runs. Lordy - what a difference ! Much quicker spool up and no overboost at all. To be honest I'm a bit worried about pushing to the fuel cut with all the flattened face stories. I got up to 17 PSI on my guage held for more than 4 secs and still no cut. I guess I'll have to be brave next weekend - don't want to find it one cold morning on the wrong side of the road !

Maximum respect to Dawes (& Jamie !)

Andy.
Old 10 March 2002, 08:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Much safer to find it when you are expecting it than to find it accidentally and not know. You could be very near where you are. Best to know and what it feels like - do it where there is space - I would HATE for this sort of thing to surprise you!
Old 10 March 2002, 10:19 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Fuel cut on the motorway in fifth and it's not that bad, lol, I was getting worried about finding it. Was in a straight line, so no dramas

Will back it off a little in the morning. Car is flying!!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 03 October 2002, 02:43 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Talking

sorry, went off at a bit of a tangent there.
readings normal with AFR.

[Edited by RRH - 3/10/2002 2:52:16 PM]
Old 03 October 2002, 03:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Put your seatbelt on then. It is only like lifting off suddenly on full boost or a little bit more.

Raising fuel cut is OK IF you know what you are doing and are monitoring things. It would allow you to run 17-18 with good fuelling and timing and no knock without fear of fuel cut.

Most Superchips cars seem to be OK if you stay sensible with the boost. The ones that go are the overboosting ones from the sounds of it, or where the owner fiddles.

These cars seem to be absolutely fine at 17PSI, the issue is fuel cut when overtaking a bus as T-uk scares us with. So set a fuel cut to 19 like the PPP and you are OK.

Falkland performance say that at 17PSI the original ECU fuels the same as the PPP. Don't know about the timing.

By making the turbo restrictor smaller (or fitting a Dawes) and fitting a fuel cut lifter you can make a safer, better Superchip for under £10 (more with the Dawes). Two op amps, two pots and a diode. Solder and redrill restrictor. Use the money you save even over a superchip for a Knock and lambda display, run with SUL +- booster and I can't see the issue on MY99/00. But it is not a choice if you don't understand it or are undisciplined.

[Edited by john banks - 3/10/2002 3:15:13 PM]