Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Linkage bushes, changeable?

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 05:55 PM
Lee-J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linkage bushes, changeable?

Quick question, MY96 STI V2 gear linkage bushes are shot causing the gearstick to flop all over the place when in gear although it still works ok. Can these bushes be changed and anyone know of uprated ones? I can only find ones for the stabiliser bar online.
These are the ones:
Old 18 May 2009, 06:56 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Stabiliser bar? That pic isn't for the stabiliser, it's the main gear linkage UJ, and the one that normally wears (although the bushes in the stick itself also go).

You can't easily replace all four bushes on the OE joint, firstly because one side has a welded pin rather than a bolt (the one above has bolts on both sides), and secondly because I don't believe Subaru sell the bushes as spares.

The link you've pictured should do the job but will likely wear just like the stock one. You can use a motorsport spec UJ too but not aware of one that goes on off the shelf - most will need to be machined to accept the shaft on the gearbox side, and cut/welded onto the linkage on the other.
Old 18 May 2009, 07:10 PM
Lee-J
Scooby Regular

Stabiliser bar? That pic isn't for the stabiliser, it's the main gear linkage UJ, and the one that normally wears
Yeah I meant there are loads of stabiliser bar bushes online but the UJ ones are the ones I'm having trouble finding.
I have the stealer checking with Japan to see if they can get any but from what you say I'm not holding out much hope for that, although mine does have the welded bit one side, its the bush in the bolted bit thats gone so there might be a chance yet I guess. Otherwise I might go for a secondhand linkage but not too keen on that route