Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Flywheel Weights and techincal info?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2009, 12:38 PM
-Spooky-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel Weights and techincal info?

Will be doing the flywheel at the same time as my clutch ASAP before Japfest. I’ve settled on the Exedy single plate organic unit.

3 questions:

Which weight would be the best to go for? My preferential weight range it between 8kg and as low as 4.4kg.

At the moment, from time to time when i’m coming to a relatively quick stop and I drop it into neutral the revs sometimes drop to stalling speeds before being corrected and bucking them back up to 0.7k. I worried that if the loss of inertia with the lighter flywheel will cause the revs to plummet too quickly resulting in an engine stall? Can anyone give some technical info, or advise on this concern?

Lastly, do I need any sort of remap to compensate for the lighter flywheel?

Looking for as much info as I can get on this one if you guys can help!
Old 21 April 2009, 01:13 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

A weight range of 4.4 to 8kgs is massive.

The flywheel weight alone will not cause an engine to stall in the situation you mention, it just takes a little getting used to when moving off in 1st gear. It's not hard though even with the lightest flywheel and has never hindered me even on the drag strip.

I run a 4.3kg on mine, but our 6.3kg ones are the most popular with our customers.

SUPERHIDS ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Clutches & Lightweight Flywheels :: Subaru Impreza :: Lightweight 6.3kgs Forged Flywheel - 5 Speed
Old 21 April 2009, 02:14 PM
-Spooky-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
A weight range of 4.4 to 8kgs is massive.

The flywheel weight alone will not cause an engine to stall in the situation you mention, it just takes a little getting used to when moving off in 1st gear. It's not hard though even with the lightest flywheel and has never hindered me even on the drag strip.

I run a 4.3kg on mine, but our 6.3kg ones are the most popular with our customers.

SUPERHIDS ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Clutches & Lightweight Flywheels :: Subaru Impreza :: Lightweight 6.3kgs Forged Flywheel - 5 Speed

Yes i know that 4.4-8kg is a large gap but having very limited knowledge of flywheels i'm unsure which is the best weight! How are the fidanza flywheels? i have been offered a new 4.4kg one at a very good price...
Old 21 April 2009, 10:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

2 piece Fidanza - we won't/don't stock them. One piece flywheels are stronger than two piece by design.