Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Weird judder/vibration after suspension upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2009, 02:13 PM
scooby-doo-where-r-u
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird judder/vibration after suspension upgrade!

Hi all,

I’ve just had quite a few suspension parts changed on the type r and since doing this is feels very strange!

I’ll start with a list of new components so you can see what I’ve had changed:-

Tein Super streets
Whiteline adjustable rear arb
Whiteline droplinks
Powerflex bushes in rear suspension arms (tie bars and tie bar to hub etc)
New tyres all round
(Also have whiteline and powerflex upfront, but don’t have any issues here)

The car was off the road and jacked up for about 10days whilst the work was being done as some of the old bushes weren’t exactly easy to remove! And once fitted the car was taken to a local company for a full geo set-up as the toe and camber etc were now all over the place.

Having new tyres and driving home is rush hour traffic meant I couldn’t really test the new components out, but later that day whilst manoeuvring around the drive, reverse seemed noisier than usual, but as I hadn’t driven the car for a while thought I’d just forgot what it was like! But when making tight left or right turns on the drive it sounds odd @ the back and it sounds and feels just like the diff. is being wound up (just like when you have the dccd up a notch or 2 in the dry), but the diff is on the first green and fully open so it should be smooth.

Just tried with handbrake up and dccd disconnected and it sill does it, I can adjust the diff up to lock though as I tried this for a second and I can feel it locking sooner.

Thanks

For those who are interested (and potential search peeps), problem was caused by incorrect diff oil being specified!! Changed to correct stuff and all a-ok.

Last edited by scooby-doo-where-r-u; 19 October 2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Update - answer to problem
Old 10 May 2009, 12:40 AM
Keells
Scooby Regular

Hi

I've had something similar to this but on the front of the car, a weird juddering feeling, it only happens to me when you go right, in my case causes understeer

I've just had some coilover's installed and this has made the problem worse, the new stiffer suspension seems to show up the problem even more than before.

Then also found out that only 1 of my fronts wheels is actually spinning when you go into 1st gear just letting it run off the clutch (had the car off the ground). Then when you hold the one that is moving then the other one starts to move again, but will still only have one wheel moving, which as you have mentioned about your issue seems to be an issue with the diff. (The front one in my case). Also I try rolling the tyre round with my hand (in neutral) you could feel some resistance that doesn't seem like it should be there, tested on another Impreza in working order and fount there was no resistance at all. Finally also get a whuring noise which I have been told is down to the diff

The car is having this sorted hopefully in a few weeks!

This has all happened on my MY99 UK turbo 2000 model. May be a long shot but could help ya.
Old 10 May 2009, 08:42 AM
dabow
Scooby Regular

i found when i changed all my suspention and drop links ect, there was more noise.

even sounds as if something was loose
all i was told, is becousethe car is alot more stiffer. you will get this
you feel bumps more too.