Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Centre diff

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2009, 01:58 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centre diff

Had major problems yesterday on hillclimb. 1997 WRX with PPG box, Quaife front diff and STi center and rear diffs. 4.44 final drive.

When had it on the dyno last year there was an indication of a weak centre diff, but never translated on the road as only used it to transport to and from mechanic etc at low speeda.

However yesterday, as soon as 4000rpm arrived and the nice slug of 1.7bar boost from GT35, i encountered what can only be described as massive torque steer. 400WHP seemed to be going straight to the front and the car basically was changing lanes on a narrow mountain road. Quite fun but not good for my time (or heart rate).

Thinking that the center diff is stuffed. Had a look and notice that Cusco and Kaaz make some and they are quite expensive although paying in Euros helps. Spoke to Quaife they do not make.

Quite like the idea of the Cusco Tarmac Centre Diff with 35/65 split and then let the LSD at either end do their job. Do not really need a centre LSD I am thinking. Anyone tried one of these?

Any other suggestions??
Old 06 April 2009, 05:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Probably about the same cost as an STI unit ?

I'd like one, but they are quite expensive, for a road car.

dunx
Old 06 April 2009, 05:45 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx450
Had major problems yesterday on hillclimb. 1997 WRX with PPG box, Quaife front diff and STi center and rear diffs. 4.44 final drive.

When had it on the dyno last year there was an indication of a weak centre diff, but never translated on the road as only used it to transport to and from mechanic etc at low speeda.

However yesterday, as soon as 4000rpm arrived and the nice slug of 1.7bar boost from GT35, i encountered what can only be described as massive torque steer. 400WHP seemed to be going straight to the front and the car basically was changing lanes on a narrow mountain road. Quite fun but not good for my time (or heart rate).

Thinking that the center diff is stuffed. Had a look and notice that Cusco and Kaaz make some and they are quite expensive although paying in Euros helps. Spoke to Quaife they do not make.

Quite like the idea of the Cusco Tarmac Centre Diff with 35/65 split and then let the LSD at either end do their job. Do not really need a centre LSD I am thinking. Anyone tried one of these?

Any other suggestions??

Are the std type diffs not "open" anyway? so power will go to the path of least resistance. ie as the front lifts under power the tyre contact patch changes resulting in front end torque steer and squirm.

I seem to spin an iside wheel too as i dont have any form of fancy front diff
Old 06 April 2009, 08:22 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

This was really bad, not a little bit of torque steer more like a drunk was driving. Every time I tried to get on the power I could see spectators scattering as they thought I had lost it.

Never used to do it and seems to have started from the time it was tuned properly and ended up with 440 whp. Must have fried it.
Old 07 April 2009, 12:53 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

glad to hear something's going right! gearbox okay?
Old 07 April 2009, 08:26 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Gearbox is now perfect. Rebuilt correctly and with the interlock mod it does not go into 1st instead of 3rd. No missed changes. Easy to drive on the street as well just have to be quick shifting. Power feels just about right and AST suspension felt good.

Any idea on a centre diff to match the Quaife? Might also get a Quaife rear diff as well.
Old 08 April 2009, 09:27 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Had a look and PPG do a ATB style centre diff which would probably be a good choice, nothing to mess with, and doesn't make the car do funny things like a plated one can (paticularly on tarmac).