Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Poss rear/centre Diff on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2009, 07:29 PM
OMG-A-Shoe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poss rear/centre Diff on its way out?

Hi Guys,
I have a JDM 2003 STi (Twin scroll) and am loving it :-)
Just have a few nigily problems with it.

Problem is im not sure if the rear/centre diff is on its way out... What would be the symptoms of this happening as my problem is pretty hard to explain lol...

Ill give it a go...

Some times when coming to a complete stop, usually after breaking hard, the rear right seems to sort of clunk down (only some times) as if maybe a bush or something has gone (which i haven't completely ruled out, just cant find it). Then maybe a little clunk/jolt when starting off again...

Other symptoms may be that it seems to be very rear happy for a 4wd car, even putting your foot down in the wet on a straight the back end will step out to the right (Always steps out to the right easier...) I have played around with the DCCD with no success... Leaving it in auto seems the best plan...

Any ideas? Im not very good at explaining it sorry :-( Any questions please ask :-)

Thanks for reading :-)
Cheers
Old 09 March 2009, 08:54 PM
markee
Scooby Regular

Have the same thing going on with ours at the moment, ours has been doing this for a couple of months but jsut lately it seems to be worse. It now makes a clonking noise as if the dccd is set to manual, and under heavy load ie flooring it for short bursts it tends to pull to the right then when you back off it steers to the left. Been real busy with work but need to get it looked at, only not to sure who to use....probably Extreme scoobies.

ps UK 05 STI
cheers
mark
Old 09 March 2009, 09:32 PM
OMG-A-Shoe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markee
Have the same thing going on with ours at the moment, ours has been doing this for a couple of months but jsut lately it seems to be worse. It now makes a clonking noise as if the dccd is set to manual, and under heavy load ie flooring it for short bursts it tends to pull to the right then when you back off it steers to the left. Been real busy with work but need to get it looked at, only not to sure who to use....probably Extreme scoobies.

ps UK 05 STI
cheers
mark
Exactly, forgot to mention the 'pulling right under acceleration and left when coming off, only slightly but noticable!

If you find out what it is mate, can you let me know , Cheers

Anyone else come across this before?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09 March 2009, 09:36 PM
OMG-A-Shoe
Scooby Regular

Also aswell once when going up the drag strip, all of a sudden it pulled hard to the right, only done this a couple of times... so far... I totaly craped myself lol when it happened, at the time I thought there might have been a bit of oil on the track but nothing.
Old 09 March 2009, 10:17 PM
markee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OMG-A-Shoe
Exactly, forgot to mention the 'pulling right under acceleration and left when coming off, only slightly but noticable!

If you find out what it is mate, can you let me know , Cheers

Anyone else come across this before?

Thanks for the reply!
Will do
Old 16 March 2009, 02:19 PM
OMG-A-Shoe
Scooby Regular

Bump

Any further ideas guys on what this problem could be?

Thanks
Old 03 June 2009, 01:27 PM
OMG-A-Shoe
Scooby Regular

Bump.
Hi Guys, little update on this...

Just got new tyres fitted yesterday and it seems to have made the steering issue much worse...

When going at any speed but ill say 20mph around a roundabout at a contstant throttle the turning arc stays the same, come off the throttle and It will pull in much much harder so have to turn out quite a bit to try and keep it going in the same arc.

Same at any speeds but gets worse when more load. I know this is now going to do my head in BIG TIME so got to get this sorted asap!

Any suggestions at all? Even if its the rear diff....

Im not sure if even these two things (Clonking and steering) are related but seems too much of a coincidence that me and Markee are having the same problem...

Please help lol, im gonna go off me head :-O

Thanks Guys!