6speed into classic transplant questions

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2009, 03:08 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6speed into classic transplant questions

Hi lads,
I think ive decided to go for the 6spd transplant into my 00 Type R, in process of getting prices here in Ireland everything needed, and was wondering who in UK would be good to supply all the running gear i need, by good i mean reasonable on price and not going to supply wore out stuff to me.
Can i use my Type R rear diff with 6spd box?
An if not will my v6 type r rear drive shafts fit the 6spd rear diff?
Appreciate your help lads
Old 09 March 2009, 04:46 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi KenC,

Give David @ API a call, he,ll be able to tell you what,s what with everything..

01926 614333
Old 09 March 2009, 10:19 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

thanks will do
Old 10 March 2009, 03:48 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

sti v6 driveshaft will fit on the 6 speed box but when you compare the driveshaft diameter of the 6 speed the 5 speed look small
Old 10 March 2009, 10:37 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

and what about the rear diff? when i put the 6spd rear diff in, will my 00 type r rear drive shafts fit it?
is the 6 speed prop shaft not shorter than 5spd

Last edited by kenc; 10 March 2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11 March 2009, 08:30 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Think i have a 6spd found, it in some form of a 07 or 08 sti prodrive, it has dccd, my quetion is as above, will my 00 type r rear shafts fit the 6spd rear diff?
And will the dccd work, ie will it work from classic controller and wiring?
Old 12 March 2009, 07:20 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SPDA - Transmission Chart

Have a look here and a lot will become clear

Aside from the shafts you need to be careful with front and rear diff ratios as well

Last edited by Fat Boy; 12 March 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12 March 2009, 07:29 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Ken,

You'll need the following:

6 Speed Box (with DCCD) if you want it.
propshaft from an Auto WRX
If you get a UK spec box you'll need a 3.54 rear diff, if you go jap spec you'll need a 3.9 rear diff. Both of these will need to be the larger R180.

As mentioned David at API should be able to source parts at reasonable prices and give you some accurate advice.
Old 12 March 2009, 10:54 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Hey lads, thanks for your response, i am not that good with numbers and ratios, more handier at the fittiing end of thing
my plan was to buy complete set up out of the one car, that way i will have correct box and diff..
maybe you have answerd the question and i havent realised it, but will my 00 type r front and rear shafts fit the 6spd box and 6spd rear diff ??
Old 13 March 2009, 03:37 PM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

kenc: yes rear driveshaft will fit the 6 speed diff but propeller you will need the 6 speed
Old 14 March 2009, 01:01 AM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that lads,
if i get a 6spd with dccd will it be problem to getit to work in the type r?
Old 14 March 2009, 02:05 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

ken: i am in the process of wiring a full v8 conversion into a gc8 right now. only problem occuring is the blinking dccd. the v8 dccd tranny if i am not mistaken is integrated into the v8 ecu as well as it reads off the abs/g sensor/rear diff temp as well
Old 14 March 2009, 10:16 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

The 6 speed DCCD will fit the GC8 Type R no bother.

The 6 speed DCCD has only two wires going to it as does the original type R 5 speed DCCD.

All you need to do is wire your exitsting wires to the 6 speed wires and then the DCCD thumb wheel will do as it did before.

All the G sensors are used for on the 6 speed DCCD is for the auto setting.

So you won't have the auto fucntionality but you will have the same as you had before.

Alternatively you can get an after market diff controller such as Motec (around £800) or a Neetronics ( around £300).

Hope that helps fella.

Last edited by dazdavies; 14 March 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 15 March 2009, 01:38 AM
kenc
Scooby Regular

that sounds good man, i not worried about an auto setting, it really the icing on cake to have a 6spd with dccd in the typer..
you were saying about "G sensors" only being used for auto setting, does this mean i will have few wires coming from box that will have nothing to plug into on type r?
and is there any problem with getting speedo working?
Old 15 March 2009, 11:36 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kenc
that sounds good man, i not worried about an auto setting, it really the icing on cake to have a 6spd with dccd in the typer..
you were saying about "G sensors" only being used for auto setting, does this mean i will have few wires coming from box that will have nothing to plug into on type r?
and is there any problem with getting speedo working?
No the wires from the G Sensors would have gone to the DCCD ECU.

In both cases, new age and TypeR you will only have two wires going to the centre diff from the DCCD ECU.

The speedo wont be a problem at all. Your existing 5 speed sensor will just slot into the 6 speed box.

Last edited by dazdavies; 15 March 2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 15 March 2009, 03:22 PM
Naff
Scooby Regular

Done this conversion yesterday on my 99 UK Classic.
All went well,just make sure you get the 6 speed with the shafts in the front diff,when i collected my 6 speed box it had no shafts in the centre diff, just a hole (if that makes sense) Had to rush off and get the spindle shafts that go into the front diff.

Also i have a concern with my rear diff Ratio, im using a UK 6 speed box (non dccd) am i correct in saying i can use my original rear diff ??

Sorry to hijack
Old 15 March 2009, 03:45 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Thats no prob Naff, all questions are relevent to transplant, what did you do about front and rear drie shafts?

Dazdavies, i havent even got a look at a 6spd dccd wires, and never took any notice of the type r's,... is there 2 different colours of wires on each box?
what colour on type r goes to what colour in 6spd if you know what i mean?
Old 15 March 2009, 06:05 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Naff
All went well,just make sure you get the 6 speed with the shafts in the front diff,when i collected my 6 speed box it had no shafts in the centre diff, just a hole (if that makes sense) Had to rush off and get the spindle shafts that go into the front diff.

Also i have a concern with my rear diff Ratio, im using a UK 6 speed box (non dccd) am i correct in saying i can use my original rear diff ??

Sorry to hijack
Providing what you say is correct then your UK Box will have a front diff ratio of 3.9 with 1.1:1 final drive ratio which would mean that your 3.54 UK rear diff will be perfect. This is the exact setup I ran on my 1999 UK turbo 2000.

Ken, unsure about actual wire colours, sorry.
Old 15 March 2009, 11:28 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

No problem Daz, you have given me plenty of help and info thanks very much just reading your reply to diff and ratios question, how the **** do you work all that out, i am totally forest gumped by it
Old 16 March 2009, 07:59 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Will the original H shaped gear box carrier from classic suit the 6spd and is there in the 6spd rear diff mountings?
Old 17 March 2009, 01:46 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Naff

Sorry to hijack
Having investigated this too (I have a MY98 UK Classic) I am under the understanding that with the Uk six speed box the original rear diff is fine.

Have you road tested it yet? Does all seem OK?
Steve
Old 18 March 2009, 09:46 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Lads i tjink im in big trouble with this 6spd with DCCD,
I have paid deposit on it and just today i was in contact with a guy who knows his stuff and has my exact conversion done in a rally car, and it a type r aswell, and to my horror he said the 6spd DCCD "WONT" work in a type r!!!! and if you wire it up it will blow the diff ecu..
According to him the classic dccd works on something like 1.5 AMP and the 6spd new age DCCD works on something like 3.8 AMP,
and when in a classic the 6spd will draw 3.8amp from the 1.5AMP classic diff ecu and blow it. Need urgent advice and info on this,
has anyone done this exact 6spd DCCD into type r transplant???????
Old 19 March 2009, 05:43 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

kenc: i would suggest contacting you supplier and just get a 6 speed tranny off a bugeye V7 sti that doesnt comes with any DCCD and it would straight bolt in. if you want a dccd then go with the V8 tranny and just get this products from this guys
in DCCDPro.com
Old 19 March 2009, 11:03 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Kenc - he's talking nonsense. I went from a standard viscous centre diff original set up in my classic to a 5 speed dccd and now have a 6 speed dccd in my My00 classic (P1). There are two wires that power the dccd from the wiring diff ecu set up and they work identically in 5 speed dccd or 6 speed. The later dccds also have dccd -A - an auto setting that takes additional inputs from yaw sensors etc, but that doesn't matter as the box control itself doesn't change - as you won't have the A bit the auto bit won't work but that's all, everything else will be fine.
Old 19 March 2009, 11:16 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Fatboy, you wre still using the original classic diff ecu in P1 when you were runnig the 6spd?
Very strange, this guy was very sure about, and said reason he knew was he had same problem with his rally car which he had done conversion in, he had went as far as taking i think what he said was the magnetic ring out of classic box and putting it into 6spd so it would work
is the a difference in the AMPS used by the 2 different boxes?
Old 20 March 2009, 11:07 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

kenc

the P1 originally didn't have the diff ecu as it runs a normal viscous centre diff, so when Zen installed the 5 speed dccd from a type R they also installed the appropriate classic dccd diff ecu and associated wiring. I then had a more powerful engine put in and decided to go for a 6 speed dccd. Zen removed the old box and replaced with a 6 speed from an 04 spec c without changing the diff or wiring in any way. Admittedly, it was an 04 without dccd -A but I have seen other posts where the fact that the dccd a box will work fine just without the additional functionality offered by the A bit. As I've said ring Paul at Zen 0845 0559366 he can answer all these sort of issues off the top of his head with absolute certainty and is also a good soruce of any additional bits you might be missing - he doesn't bite (much)

Good luck
Old 20 March 2009, 03:38 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

There's some proper scaremonegering rubbish talked on this site sometimes.

Ken, you'll be fine running a 6 speed DCCD off the 5 speed DCCD ECU and associated wiring.

As above, Paul at Zen has done this very conversion a few times he also advised me to take this very path on my V3 Type R too.
Old 21 March 2009, 01:22 AM
kenc
Scooby Regular

thanks lads, and to think i nearly lost my deposit as i was going to cancel the box over this DCCd matter
lucky i didnt, ment to be collecting it tomorrow
Old 21 March 2009, 08:46 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Well i collected my 6spd 2day, its a DW-TY856WG7KA.
I was just wndring what the gearing is like in this, i have heard that the 2.5 forresters have longer gears than older 6spds, is mine the same as the forester ratios or more common normal 6spd ratios?

Will my Type R rear diff suit this box or wil i have to put the diff that came with 6spd?

With regards to fitting, the guy left the green cups on both the box and rear diff, am i best to just put my drives into the 6spd cups or what way do i have to do it?
Old 21 March 2009, 09:51 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

This is about as good as you can get for a big power build.

Ratios are as follows:
1: 3.636
2: 2.235
3: 1.521
4: 1.137
5: 0.891
6: 0.707
Reverse: 3.545

Front diff is 3.9 with a 1.1:1 drop gear so you'll need an R180 3.54 rear diff.
Your type R diff is a 4.444 so not compatible.

Quick Reply: 6speed into classic transplant questions