Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Air lock?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2009, 06:03 PM
soncourts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air lock?

I have changed radiator on impreza 95 uk, the car is still overheating, i think i might have airlock, would this explain the car overheating still?
If so can someone please tell me how to get rid of it.
Would be gratefull for any info.
Old 13 January 2009, 11:05 AM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

Oh dear this isn't a fun one lol

Right first of all if you have heating in the car then its not a air lock! (1st check)

second - No heating in car and overheating, remove expansion tank lid and pump the top hose on the rad, you should get bubbles, add water and keep pumping can take ages!!!!!!

Keep doing til you get heating inside the car and air lock is GONE! If it still overheats then its time to get a pressure test done!!

Hope this helps
Old 13 January 2009, 08:55 PM
soncourts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tomski_908
Oh dear this isn't a fun one lol

Right first of all if you have heating in the car then its not a air lock! (1st check)

second - No heating in car and overheating, remove expansion tank lid and pump the top hose on the rad, you should get bubbles, add water and keep pumping can take ages!!!!!!

Keep doing til you get heating inside the car and air lock is GONE! If it still overheats then its time to get a pressure test done!!

Hope this helps

I have tried bleeding the radiator but no success, is there some sort of technic of what to do? cos i am stuck i am at my wits end.
When i first fill it up from cold it only lets me put about 3 litres of water in.
Which is the best way to fill it up? engine running? engine cold etc?
How much water do i actually need to fill it up?.
Thanks
Old 13 January 2009, 11:09 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

First put heater on to hot selection.

Top up through little holding tank on top of engine (one with normal metal radiator cap) not plastic expansion bottle.

Capacity is at 7.2 ltr for turbo 2000 classic (should be in your manual somewhere) When I do it I put nearly all of the antifreeze in first. Make sure you measure how much you put in (antifreeze and water).

Top up through tank and squeeze top radiator hose. When tank full let it sit for a minute then try to top up again. When its full put cap on and run car for 10 secs. Take cap off and repeat until tank is full after running car. Then top up expansion bottle. Hopefully you should have about 7 liters in by now. If not recheck everything not forgetting the hot air. Then run car until fan cuts in twice (may take quite a while). Let her sit to cool down overnight if possible. Then check holding tank level when cold and top up if necessary.

Bit of a pain but you will get there.

Pat