Front/centre Diff

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2009, 11:59 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front/centre Diff

I have MY99 UK Turbo 2000.

On full lock now both in reverse and forward when coldish the car kinda skips jumps like rolling over a large pebble. Has been doing it to a lesser degree now for quite some time (couple of years). Seems to be getting worse so now is the time to get fixed. I believe its caused by the diff to the front wheels binding in some fashion and I have a couple of questions if somebody could answer.

1. Is it a common part failure whereby only one part is definately the culprit making diagnosis easy?

2. Roughly how much for part?

3. I assume it's a gearbox out job?

4. How difficult is it to do? I intend doing it with my mate who is a mechanic but deals nearly exclusively with peugeots.

5. Roughly how long for two bluffers to do?

6. Car has 130,000 on it now so I intend to change clutch plate (still on original which is still good) as well if the box has to come off? Any recommendations. Car has no upgrades and is now wifes mode of transport mainly the school run.

TIA
Pat
Old 09 January 2009, 12:25 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

my rear diff if fecked up and it sounds the same thing when i reverse, slips a lot more when reversing in an angle, going up... say if am reversing to park on a road going uphill, it wont go....
Old 09 January 2009, 01:02 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Its likely either the centre or rear diff, you can check the front or rear by jacking that end of the car and seeing how smoothly the other wheel turns when you turn one side (expect 'smooth' resistance at the rear due to the VC).

Simon
Old 09 January 2009, 01:49 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies lads. Had the car up on lift the day before yesterday and everything appeared to be smooth etc. Mind you I had just done about 100 miles so box wasn't stone cold as it is when fault shows itself. We couldn't even get the skipping to happen whilst turning on the forecourt. Typical!

Thanks
Pat

ps I'm pretty sure it's at the front as you can feel it through the steering

Last edited by Postman Pat; 09 January 2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12 January 2009, 04:07 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Anybody else with any suggestions? Since the weather has warmed up a bit its not nearly half as bad. I've always used Castrol Syntrax hope its not an oil issue!

Pat
Old 15 January 2009, 02:08 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Temperature won't have a major effect on the LSD's, I wonder if you have a bearing binding or soemthing, pretty hard to guess at though!

Simon
Old 15 January 2009, 10:00 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

is there a nasty crunchy knocking noise wile your turning, usually slowly and worse the more lock you have on?

thats what mine was like, eventually the gearbox started to whine, sounded electric, cost around £700 to get fixed,

just remembered mine only did it when the gearbox had warmed up, 10mins driving, due to the oil thinning out when warm

Last edited by stigaz; 15 January 2009 at 10:02 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2009, 10:36 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

No nasty grinding type noises just a skip like rolling over a large pebble when on full lock whilst reversing. During the cold weather I noticed it happening once driving forwards again on full lock. Brought it down to mates garage (80 miles away) but of course couldn't get it to do it down there. We put it up on the lift and rolled wheels back and forward but couldn't see anything obvious. All wheels turned in unison and only little pressure required to stop one of the fronts turning whilst turning the other. Having said that it would need to be very obvious for me to see it and he's not that familiar with subarus.

It's been doing this for a couple of years now without getting much worse apart from that spell around Christmas and has seemed to settle down again. Only happens when full lock is on ie when you can hear the steering pump whining a bit. So far my solution is to avoid full lock. I don't want to do unnecessary work but then again I don't want to break something if a stitch in time helps/

Thanks
Pat