Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

GL stuck in high range

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2002, 04:28 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Just been on a road trip visiting prospective universities in my mum's MY98 2.0 GL 5 door with dual range gearbox.

Parked in Southampton, and in my wisdom, I put her into low range so a thief would be limited to 50mph or so (until he realised how to use the range selector!).

Next morning, started up, tried to put back into high range, selecter went in as normal, but on letting the clutch out, it jumped out and made an unhealthy grinding noise.

The car's still drivable in low range, but didnt fancy driving 250 miles in low range, so low-loadered it to my local dealer.

It's had gearbox problems before, which were seemingly solved by the same dealer about 3 months ago. Then it was jumping out of 1st and 2nd when going down steep hills. Seemingly nothing to do with the dual range, but could the problems be related? Since the repairs the car hadnt been put into low range.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Cheers,

Scoobyster

Edit: Topic should read "Stuck out of High Range" or "Stuck in Low Range"

[Edited by scoobyster - 2/15/2002 4:30:58 PM]
Old 16 February 2002, 01:22 AM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Red face

hi mate, i noticed that you say it hasnt been put into low range since the repair. maybe it was an unfixed problem and you only found then as it was previously unused.

just a suggestion!

p.s. as for sorting it....god knows. subaru boxes are crap, as i found out!

cheers

ian
Old 16 February 2002, 01:18 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the reply Ian.

Problem has been fixed! Fair play to Threeways for getting it done so promptly, thankfully it means my mum wont be using my car now that hers is sorted!
It seems you were right about the problem originating from the previous work, they said that they had to reposition a bearing on the high/low ratio cable. I don't think they've billed the lease company either.
A happy ending it seems, and at least I saved some petrol on the way back from Southampton

Cheers,

Ben