Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

play on full lock

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2008, 04:10 PM
m456vdm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default play on full lock

hi all have got a 1994 turbo 2000. the problem is when reversing with full lock on there is a clunk and it looks like the front end of the car skips and you can feel it in the steering wheel. i have checked strut top bearings, wishbone bushes all seem ok. there is no play on any componant when the car is jacked up. it does it going forward but more noticable in reverse.
please any ideas welcome its doing my head in now.

chears pete
Old 20 November 2008, 10:41 AM
David Morris 1959
Scooby Newbie

Pete,

I have had the same problem just start on my 2000 [Legacy/Liberty] Outback - 5 speed manual & AWD, 97000 Kms/approx 60,000 miles.

Feels like front end is binding up - much like wind up when turning on a hard surface in an earlier 4WD with no center diff - eg L series car. Not only can you feel it through steering, you can also hear noises - but not the typical CV joint clicking upon failure.

My first thought was failing CV joints - took to dealer- who said was imminent failure of the power steering pump, and also possibly some wear in differential.

Has anyone struck this ?

Thanks - David
Old 22 November 2008, 08:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Steering rack bushes ? My cure of the day....

DunxC
Old 26 November 2008, 11:06 PM
Jubby
Scooby Regular

well im having this problem at the moment too an im just baffeled! asked a few people couple have said cv joints an some people have said somthing to do with the brakes but when you mentioned the power stering pump now i come to think of it my steering in general seems a bit stiffer so me thinks it could be somthing to do with that! its just quite noisey to be just power steering pump though! when it first happened to me i thought i had a flat tyre cause it sounded like alloy running along the tarmac!
Old 28 November 2008, 03:18 PM
David Morris 1959
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your ideas.

Like Jubby, at first I thought I had a flat tyre...

Driving the car since becoming aware of the issue, I note that the problem only occurs when the car is hot...when stone cold - perfect. Car is non turbo and not thrashed

Given the temperature factor, and a reasonably cheap elimination procedure -I will change of the 4 YO gearbox oil (shared in combined gearbox/front diff) over the coming week
Old 11 December 2008, 08:21 PM
Smoothybaby
Scooby Newbie

Im also having the same problem, i agree with the flat tyre sensation and it sounds like im gouging a groove in my drive, hehehe

im going to take a look at the weekend, is there anyway i can check the the power steering pump and steering rack bushes so i can find out if they are the cause
Old 16 December 2008, 06:55 PM
mike1273
Scooby Regular

sounds like the problem ive been having, local garage has changed both front c.v. joints, the problem is still there, only when the car has been running for a while, now he thinks its front diff! He told me that he's come across the same problem on other makes of cars before & maby changing the diff oil might cure the problem. Im hoping he's right and that the diff isnt buggered!! Will keep you posted of the result when it gets done.
Old 17 December 2008, 11:12 AM
David Morris 1959
Scooby Newbie

Default WIND UP ON FULL LOCK - SOLVED

Hi,

I am author of thread 2 above...problem now identified as the Centre Diff !

My car is fitted with a TY754XKBAA dual range transmission - it seems that the problem of the centre diff failing in this transmission is quite common - exacerbated by doing things like innocent things like U turns and going up/down multi story car parks. The centre diff unit is designed to be "ünserviceable"- ie not repairable.

My research (funny- you won't find this on the Subaru factory web site) suggests that circa 2000, Subaru went from an earlier (much more durable, and repairable) centre diff, to the one used on my transmission.. I am sure in the interests of cost savings when new, and encouraging spare parts sales a few years later. Not sure if they did this type of running change on other models around the same time.

Anyway- the good news- I have sourced [from All Drive Subaroo- Sydney-Australia] a fully reconditioned gearbox for mine (transmission the same), but modified to take - and fitted with, the earlier (much more durable, and repairable) centre diff. Cost was AUD 1,925 + freight to Melbourne

Having that fitted next Monday - and I am taking the opportunity to have a new clutch fitted as part of the exercise.

Hope this has been helpful to others.
Old 19 December 2008, 09:04 PM
mike1273
Scooby Regular

very interesting that David, hope all goes well. i hope the change of oil sorts my diff out!! iv been told the diff is prone to take in water. which breaks the oil down, resulting in the LSD not functioning as it should, hence the juddering feeling & clonking u get. going in tomorrow to see if the garage can fit it in, IF the oil has arrived! will let you know, fingers crossed.
Old 18 January 2009, 08:17 PM
Smoothybaby
Scooby Newbie

Hi mike did you get the oil changed and if so has it made any difference
Old 19 January 2009, 03:29 PM
mike1273
Scooby Regular

yes, i did get the oil changed, and, allthough it did make a bit of a difference, the problem is still there! it was worth a try though, waiting now for a new diff to be fitted.
Old 19 January 2009, 03:51 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

i noticed this the other month on my car also but as i was on full lock i just assumed that the power steering pump was struggling to maintain pressure in the system and didn't think anything of it.

only notice mine when it cold though and i'm reversing off the drive way - don't have to do put the car in full lock that often but when i do i get this same response from the car. - in fact reversing off the driveway is the only time i put the car on full lock

what with my gear box woes as well its not looking good for my car at the moment

in fact could the two be related??
Old 20 January 2009, 06:08 PM
mike1273
Scooby Regular

mine is going in on monday, the diff is getting sent away to be done or replaced?? hopefully by the end of next week i can report some good news, IF the problem is solved, will keep you posted.
Old 24 June 2010, 03:13 PM
Sneak
Scooby Regular

Thread from the dead, but any news?
Old 28 June 2010, 06:24 PM
Smoothybaby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Sneak
Thread from the dead, but any news?
Hi

yea I did get the problem resolved by doing something as simple as getting new tyres fitted and the tracking adjusted (which was out by quite a bit). The problem seemed far more serious than the tracking but never the less it's not happened since so happy days :-)