Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

LPG Legacy - I RULE!

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2002, 11:14 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Okay, so it's taken a while to find someone who can convert a Scooby engine to run on LPG, but it's finally done! My 2.5 Legacy is now running on LPG, costing 36p/litre

Conversion cost was £1500, including VAT and a full tank (90litres) of fuel. It took the guy 3 and a bit days, but the job is top notch. Oh, and did I mention that he concentrates on Scoobys, and he drives a WRX?

Now, before you lot start saying the power's going to be much lower, and/or the thing smells, both are true-ish.

Power is down, a tiny bit. Cruising, and around town, you really wouldn't know. On the motorway, it's fine. But, boot it and the grunt isn't quite as gruntful. The difference isn't huge, but there is a difference.

Off the lights, there's a slight hesitation, but I'm putting that down to the ECU being a learning one. Yes, the ECU he fitted for the gas system is also a learning one! :O

Smell, yes - when you stop filling the tank. Basically, there's a smell agent put into the LPG, so you can tell if you have a leak. You can smell that briefly, but then it goes. The exhaust doesn't smell though - which is nice

At the moment, turbo'd cars can't be converted (sorry, you lot with the fun scoobs) but there's a kit coming out, later this year, which uses gas injectors, rather than a venturi system. Once that's out, he's fitting it to his wrx. At that point, I'd seriously suggest you give him a call.

"Who's him?" I hear you ask I'll speak to him tomorrow and, if he's okay about me extolling his virtues to you lot, then I'll let you know!

Richard/Globbits