Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

K&N Cone or ITG Panel Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2002, 10:50 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you reckons best, both in value for money and Performance gains.
Old 14 February 2002, 11:09 PM
piravlos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N panel...
Old 14 February 2002, 11:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I went from original panel to K&N cone to ITG panel. The car feels just as quick on the panel filter as the K&N but much quieter - possibly more torque at the bottom, less at the top but there is very little in it. But this is with a small turbo which I was wondering if it might be better matched to a panel filter, and a big turbo might appreciate the high flow at the top end? Just a theory, and probably not a good one
Old 15 February 2002, 07:01 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

John - have you removed the induction resonator? It really speeds throttle response (at the expense of noise!).

Richard
Old 15 February 2002, 08:19 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

No Richard - this was something I considered before originally going for an induction kit and personally rejected for safety reasons. Theo scared me after he went through some water and his MAF misread and the car went down to 2% CO at WOT!
Old 15 February 2002, 08:55 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Yep - but I've never seen this on either of my 2 cars (50k km's each). Up until recently I only monitored for knock, but there's never been a blip.

I don't doubt Theo's findings - but suspect the splash guards must have been letting water in? I went as far as stripping my airbox after a high-speed motorway run in a downpour (when Theo first reported his findings), no water. It's a long way from that orange vent, up through the filter and onto the MAF....

What I have noticed since fitting the lambdalink is that in wet weather the car leans out a bit (only internittently lights last led) - but I'm assuming this is just 'cos the air is denser? Too early to say at the moment.

Sorry - wildly off topic

Scott - I reckon no resonator and panel filter is as good as a cone filter (maybe less air flow, but cooler air)....given the above risk

Richard
Old 15 February 2002, 09:11 AM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

Maybe it's due to the order I did my mods. I had a fully decat Scoobysport system with the ITG panel. When I fitted the K&N cone I noticed a big improvement in the top end. Before there was not a lot of point in holding on to the gears beyond about 5000rpm but with the cone it was pulling hard to the red line.

I reckon it depends on whether the exhaust or the induction is the bottleneck. I had a free flowing exhaust that IMHO was being held back by the panel and the air box.

With regard to the MAF - I looked into it carefully before buying the K&N and I haven't heard of any MAF failures with it. Maybe because it has a really sturdy mounting bracket.

btw - It sounds great too 8)

Andy.
Old 15 February 2002, 10:55 AM
Lars
Scooby Regular

I think both ITG and KN is OK, but I have decided to change for go for a BMC filter.
Available from
http://www.performanceexhausts.net
or have a look at www.bmcairfilters.com

regards Lars