Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Boost Pressures

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2002, 08:31 PM
sanders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Can someone tell me what the standard boost settings for a 92 legacy turbo is and what can it be turned up to without destroying anything. The only mods my car has is s/s backbox, blitz filter, dump valve and an ABC superchip, I have heard that these type of chips are to be used with a bleed valve, is that right?

Sanders
Old 14 February 2002, 10:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the specifics of a 92 Legacy. However, most of the Superchips on the Impreza remove your overboost fuel cut so you would be able to increase the boost considerably, but would be limited by the safety of doing so. A bleed valve could be used - you may wish to see a Superchips dealer - AWD Motorsport in Perth or Falkland Performance in Glenrothes would both be able to help you. The former have a Select Monitor - I am not sure if this is compatible with your car, but if it is they could check fuelling, ignition timing, knock, injector duty cycle and boost for you and advice you how much boost to add if any at all.

If you go this route I suggest at least a boost gauge and preferably and air fuel ratio meter as well to keep an eye on the mixtures. You can also get a knock sensor display to show if your sensor is detecting any knock. The latter two being required depends on how near to the safety margins you want to take the car.
Old 16 February 2002, 03:58 PM
sanders
Scooby Regular

Hi,
John banks, thanks for your advice I am going to AWD on saturday so I will ask them then.
Cheers,
Sanders
Old 16 February 2002, 04:23 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

No problem.
Old 17 February 2002, 12:39 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I had a similar spec on my old 92 legacy turbo:
ABC chip
ramair filter
decat 3" exhaust
Hybrid 'turbo dynamics' turbo
competition actuator

Had bleed valve set to 13 PSI due to overboost (reached ~ 17 to 19PSI when set to 13PSI which was fine on a car that had done 200K miles! with no reliability probs at all)

If I had a dawes fitted I would have ben happy to leave it at 17PSI since it greatly reduces overboost.

But your right - these chips are set to run at higher boost than standard, I'm suprised you havent got a bleed valve already fitted.

If I strongly recommend you consider a dawes boost controller as an alternative to a bleed (only £26) and adjust the boost to suit your requirements (but don't go mad )

Rich
Old 17 February 2002, 01:08 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

By the way, the "ABC" (anti boost cut ?) is effectively the same as a FCD (fuel cut defender) - see other posts in this forum.

Thanks

Gavin