Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

front drive shafts knocking help???

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2008, 11:50 PM
phill013
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front drive shafts knocking help???

Hi i have bought my first 1998 2000 scooby have drove it home and theres a awful crunching sound from the front when turning right under power i susspect the cv joint is us i have another one how easy is it to change the shafts? also iv been told the left and right front shafts are interchangable is this correct cheers for any help im hoping this is relitivly to rectify lol
cheers phill
Old 09 November 2008, 11:46 AM
Matthew
Scooby Regular

In theory changing the CV joint is easy, and you can buy just the joint online. The only trouble I had was separating the joint from the hub - it just wouldn't shift and I ended up taking the whole assembly off the car to get it in a hydraulic press.

If all goes well you can do it as follows
1/ Take off the wheel, and before you do anything else undo the hub cente nut while someone else stands on the brakes as it is extremely tight
2/ This should allow the shaft to move on its splines in the hub. It can be a bit (very) tight so you may need a puller - hydraulic if you have one.
3/ Knock out the roll pin at the gearbox end
4/ Disconnect the ball joint on the suspension - this should allow you to move the hub out far enough to disengage the gearbox end.
5/ push the shaft out of the hub
6/ If you just replace the joint then pull the wheel end joint off the end of the shaft (held by an internal sprung ring on the splines) and replace it

6/ Put it all back together by doing the reverse

If you do it this way the suspension alignment should stay the same so you won't have to have it redone.

Matthew

Putting it all together is the reverse of the above
Old 09 November 2008, 09:34 PM
phill013
Scooby Newbie

mint hopefully straight forward i wasnt sure not even looked yet iv got a full shaft so ill just change the lot many thanks phill