Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

If anyone can help or got a few mins 2 have a think!

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 12:37 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

If anyone has a minutes or two to have a read & reply, cheers in advance. The more info or opinions on this the better, whether it settles my mind or not - I really need some opinions.

Having read a previous post from WhiteSTi on oil pump problems made me wonder worringly.

I changed the oil over the weekend (10W40) on MY95. Previously the oil pressure was higher at idle. Is this normal?

I also noticed before I changed a slight - what sounds like a vibration noise when you accelerate. This noise doesn't happen when cruising at the same RPM or off throttle. It has got more noticable since the oil change, hence my wonder about the oil pump & low pressure.

Before the weekend I thought it was the heatshield but now i AM worried. It shows up quite loudly in the car above around 3K revs.

Now I'm nowhere near that techically minded especially with engine internals, and fear there may be something wrong. It has had a misfire/hesitation problem, which I tried to test out - reduced the gap in the plugs to 0.6mm (as suggested by a post a while back). So I'm not sure which turn of events is causing this. I noticed that one coil pack has the wires going in but they wouldn't be in an exactly healthy state so will need to change that as well.

Tha noise is freaking me - as I said it doesn't happen when at a steady RPM or off throttle, only on throttle. A very brief converstaion with a friend late last night - & he thought he could hear the misfire (funningly enough the side of that coil pack) along with the misfire he thought it may be burning a valve????? Said to get it compression tested. Now I have been in a WRX with a holed piston & it wont even run on idle! Mine does fine! V. V. Confused????

My main concern is that it's INTERNAL. If anyone can opinions idea etc it'd be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Johny.
Old 11 February 2002, 07:19 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

ttt

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas from experience, please fire away.

Cheers.

Johny.
Old 12 February 2002, 01:23 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Johny

My WRX MY95 didn't sound too good when the coil packs needed replacing. I've found that whenever there is some reason for it not to run right then the engine and exhaust always sound noisier than normal. It's always sounded a lot better once the problem was resolved.

It was running a bit lumpy over the last few weeks, but I had it serviced on Saturday and the ECU was reset, now back to normal and a lot quieter. Probably caused by a dodgy tank full of petrol.

Get your coil pack problem sorted out and see how it sounds.

One other thing, if you have changed the oil and now have thinner oil in than before it will sound louder.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 12 February 2002, 02:35 PM
jmca
Scooby Regular

Ken,

Cheers for the info. Puts my mind at rest. Will change the coil pack in the next day or so. Funningly enough the oil I changed is a 10W40 & lighter than before 15W50. Hopefully there'll be good news.

Regards

Johny.