Blitz Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 01:55 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all

Anyone here got any opinions on the Blitz air filters?

Are they safe to use with the standard Impreza?

Do they make a big difference to the performance?

Any known problems with them?

cheers
Old 09 February 2002, 02:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very poor filtration and a propensity to cause MAF failures have been discussed on here before, although everyone will have a different view on these things.

K&N 57i SEEMS to be quite safe. Mac's Power in Ireland will guarantee your MAF sensor with their kit which is based on 57i with an STi trumpet.

I went back to a panel filter having tried a 57i. I don't think my car is any slower at all even though I run higher boost (I have MY00 UK spec turbo), and certainly a lot quieter.
Old 09 February 2002, 02:17 PM
Hex
Scooby Regular

thanks John - I guess I'm better off with a Panel filter then? ITG?
Old 09 February 2002, 03:56 PM
danielson
Scooby Regular

I keep hearing that the Blitz filter causes problems but is this the case in most fittings or just one unlucky person because i cant seem to find anyone it has actually happened to can anyone please tell me if they have had problems not just i have heard becuase this is a bit misleading.most japanese guys seem to be fitting this product with no apparent problems

cheers Dan
Old 09 February 2002, 04:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Search is off. If it wasn't you would find a wealth of info in Drivetrain on MAF failues and induction kits. There have been people on this board with problems where Blitz and HKS induction kits have been at least been implicated if not proven to cause the failure (causality is impossible to prove). The MAF in late model Subarus in particular is fragile and susceptible to vibration or contamination.

Before I and some others fitted induction kits we searched the BBS from day one and reached our conclusions. If you post here and ask your question you are not going to get a decent sample of individual personal experiences - only those who happen to see the thread and reply to it.
Old 02 September 2002, 02:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

ITG panel is my personal choice. I would only get an induction kit on a light to moderately modded Scooby for the noise if that is your thing.

There are issues with polymer leaking out as green goo from the ITG filter if it is not fitted correctly, but apparently this does not get to or do any harm to the MAF sensor.

I lost a bit of pickup going from 57i to factory panel, but regained it again with ITG.

Power figures are often exaggerated - it is very difficult to get back to back reliable results from a dyno for a multitude of reasons, but 1 BHP is possibly all you get from a panel filter. Some people say a few for an induction kit, some say up to 15BHP. Certainly on my car nothing like genuine 15BHP mods! Maybe you get a bit at the very top end, but I think you probably lose as much torque at the bottom end to be honest.

[Edited by john banks - 2/9/2002 2:26:41 PM]