Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Grinding, Groaning noise on Overrun PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 01:25 PM
pete-scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding, Groaning noise on Overrun PLEASE HELP!!

HI there, guys I wonder if you can help me.

1998 version 4 uk impreza turbo

Replaced the rear beam axle bushes the other day (The big ones that hold the subframe to the car)

You have to lower down one side of the subframe at a time (supporting with a jack obviously) in order to get the bushes out.

Anyway, did all of this no problem, put it all back together but when I went to drive it on overrun I get a groaning noise from the rear of the car (I think)
Its not a whine (as i know the rear diffs are quite winey anyway)
I changed the oil the other day in the diff and the noise did not go away and if anything its getting louder.

When you lower the subframe down the diff does move slightly down with it.

could i have bent a bearing in the diff? Bent a driveshaft? Missaligned prop?

I am no expert so please help!!!
Old 15 August 2008, 09:50 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, You've probably bent the locating brackets that hold that beam up to the floor. Numpty garages use that as a jacking point and the plate gets bent out of shape and rubs on the axle beam on the overrun.

Makes a dreadful racket, just take them off bash em to the right shape so there is clearance all around the bush locating frame and it'll almost certainly go away.

Good Luck David APi

PS let us know if I am anywhere close..................
Old 18 August 2008, 12:53 PM
pete-scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Pete, You've probably bent the locating brackets that hold that beam up to the floor. Numpty garages use that as a jacking point and the plate gets bent out of shape and rubs on the axle beam on the overrun.

Makes a dreadful racket, just take them off bash em to the right shape so there is clearance all around the bush locating frame and it'll almost certainly go away.

Good Luck David APi

PS let us know if I am anywhere close..................
Bloody Legend!!! That may well just be it!!! I knew someone would know!!!Il pop out when i have a minute and have a look. Many many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated!!
Old 24 August 2008, 12:23 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing to remember is that if you have put in harder bushes you will hear transmission noises now you never heard before.
I replaced all rear bushes on a WRX and could not believe the transmission noise. I only accepted it was the "uprated" bushes after I put the originals back on. Quite unbelievable.
Old 24 August 2008, 07:33 PM
pete-scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
The other thing to remember is that if you have put in harder bushes you will hear transmission noises now you never heard before.
I replaced all rear bushes on a WRX and could not believe the transmission noise. I only accepted it was the "uprated" bushes after I put the originals back on. Quite unbelievable.
Would just the 2 rear beam axle bushes affect it this much though? it is quite a loud noise and iv noticed now it is only between 2100 and 2400 rpm in all gears????
Old 25 August 2008, 09:29 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without hearing your car I cannot really say much more but you may be hearing noises that were already there and are now transmitted because of the harder bushes. Until this happened to me I did not believe that the noise could be down to the bushes. It was so loud. Changing them was a precaution and hey presto...........no noise. I have since come across this several times and I think the people selling harder bushes would do well to advise purchasers that there may well be an increase in transmission noise!!!
Anyone want some harder bushes???
Old 25 August 2008, 12:42 PM
pete-scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Without hearing your car I cannot really say much more but you may be hearing noises that were already there and are now transmitted because of the harder bushes. Until this happened to me I did not believe that the noise could be down to the bushes. It was so loud. Changing them was a precaution and hey presto...........no noise. I have since come across this several times and I think the people selling harder bushes would do well to advise purchasers that there may well be an increase in transmission noise!!!
Anyone want some harder bushes???
I appreciate that you cant hear it. Im in two minds what to do now. I have bought another rear beam axle and the standard bushes in that are good so im tempted to change the beam axles over. hmm... Because my noise is so rpm specific do you think it could be diff related?