Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI and Prodrive Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2002, 03:14 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a standard My99 Turbo and am keen on a new exhaust for it. What i need to know is if there is any benefit in fitting the backbox off of a P1 or Sti or is it worth waitng for a prodrive WR or PPP exhaust to come up in the For Sale. Any help would be appreciated as i've got the chance of an Sti backbox just now.
Old 05 February 2002, 03:28 PM
GW2000
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the fold sandycam, I'm still quite new to this myself but the people on here are very friendly and helpful. I myself have replaced the standard backbox on a MY00 for an STi 97, it looks exactly like the standard P1 exhaust and was in better condition . I prefer the single outlet and it frees up the flow to make a nice change to the exhaust note. As far as performance improvement, its running at 237BHP with just a panel filter and backbox change.

Thing is I know it will not stop here
Old 05 February 2002, 04:56 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

You're unlikely to see any gains from an STi/P1 BB (a P1 BB is an STi BB) as it's just as restrictive but with a nicer looking single round pipe on the end.

The WR Sport and PPP BB's will give you a slight power hike (approx 5-8bhp) but they do lean out the mixture slightly which gets rid of some hesitation and the spool up is slightly faster and more urgent. The car feels much more drivable because of this.

There is a lot of discussion on which BB is best but in performance terms, I think it's generally accepted that they are all about the same, the differences are the styling and the sound.

The WR/PPP BB's are some of the quieter ones, the Scoobymania/Scoobysport being at the louder end.... it depends what you're after....

Matt
Old 05 February 2002, 05:20 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

That's what i needed to know thanks, for your help men!
Old 05 February 2002, 06:17 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

I just might know where you could get a 2nd hand WR Sport with Oval tailpipe in a couple of weeks.....

Let me know and I'll put you in touch!

Cheers
Tim
Old 05 February 2002, 07:18 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I just swapped my std MY99 backbox for a PPP backbox - and its oohhhh so nice. A definite change in power delivery and noise !

Having said that glad I did change it as the one on my MY99 wouldnt have lasted another 3 months - just wondering if I'd have had any come back to subaru - I would expect it to last at least 4 years - my last cars (mx-6 - 4 years) exhaust was hardly rusty when I flogged it

PPP BB you know it makes sense - the wife likes it too !

T.