Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Need a new backbox - Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2002, 09:47 PM
Maz-old
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

First of all, on the Scoobysport wesbite, it refers to the exhaust synonimously as the silencer. Is that right? Is this also what you all refer to as a 'backbox'? If so, I would like a new backbox as the car I have has some corrosion on its current one. With 66k under its belt, I suppose that is to be expected.

Should I go for a scoobysport backbox (about £260 + £10 for fitting from what I can see on the website) or is there a better one? What exactly does the Scoobysport backbox get me? There are claims about increasing bhp/torque and fuel economy, and smoothing out the acceleration (thereby reducing turbo lag). Sounds good to me...

Any comments or advice?
Old 04 February 2002, 09:55 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Maz,

An aftermarket backbox will increase power as the original is quite restrictive but, it depends on how noisy you want your car (or more to the point how noisy your neighbours will allow). Best bet is to get yourself along to a meet and hear some cars and choose one you like.

DaveW
Old 04 February 2002, 10:14 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Hi Maz

Firstly silencer = backbox

I've got a scoobysport bb which I bought 2nd hand. Take a look at the FOR SALE forum and save yourself some hard earned. The're stainless steel and will probably outlast the car. For me performance gains seemed slight but sounds like you've got +20bhp

Mike
Old 04 February 2002, 10:16 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Maz

As Dave has said, the best thing to do is come along to a meet - there are loads of options Scoobysport / Scoobymania / TSL / HKS / Blitz / Prodrive etc etc

Bear in mind that just changing the backbox (or silencer) will only have a limited effect. Most aftermarket backboxes are less restrictive than the standard fit item. Therefore you should get a slight increase in bhp (but we are only talking in the region of 3 or 4) and better sound. The Scoobysport bb is very nice - even just the bb fitted on a standard downpipe and centre section will sound good.

If you are serious about removing the restrictions of a standard exhaust system then you need to look at replacing the downpipe and centre section aswell. This will provide significant improvements in bhp and (especially) torque. Obviously this makes things a lot louder - but that's personal taste. My old car had a full decat Scoobysport system and it sounded great. Hopefully the new one will have something similar soon

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 04 February 2002, 10:35 PM
Cblack
Scooby Regular

ss bb gets my vote I have it on my MY99 bb only , the rest is standard. Good burble from it and not too bad on the move.