Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clonking/judder after a good run!

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2008, 06:57 PM
mike1273
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clonking/judder after a good run!

The last few times I've been out with the car (MY99) everything has been fine, until I get back home and park it up. While going slowly and turning there is a judder and clonking noise, hard to pinpoint from where, hard to say if it is from when the steering is on lock because of the judder, sometimes feels like its from the back! The funny thing is, the next time I take the car out, everything is fine again, seems to kick in after a run. Checked all the CV gators and all are intact, any ideas appreciated. Cheers.
Old 10 May 2008, 07:21 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

We have a terrible noise that we couldn't figure out, couldn't hear anything when the car was cold but once the car was warmed up and you start to reduce the speed the noise is there, it's a knocking noise as though something is banging against something, a few weeks agoit sounded mild but as the weeks have went on it's getting worse, I eventually said it was the rear diff (us women aren't all that thick ) so we took it in for an inspection and guess what.....................it needs a new rear diff aswell as some other things like, but we've only owned the car 5 weeks so the garage is having to sort it under the warranty as they had no pre-inspection done prior to selling the car on. My advice would be to take it to a garage for a general inspection which will take around a hour, ask them to go out in the car to hear the noise, we paid £35 and it's worth it at the end of the day, better to be safe than sorry when these cars as expensive to run anyways. Hope this helps.
Old 11 May 2008, 04:26 PM
mike1273
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that. I know a mechanic, but he's gone to spain for two weeks I'll get him to check it out when he gets back.