Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

LPG Conversions - success finally

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2002, 10:28 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Okay, background - I've got a 2002 Legacy 2.5 Estate. Lovely car, not quite the performance of proper Scoobs, but loads of boot-space for stereo! The plan was always to convert it to LPG, but I've had all sorts of problems finding someone who's prepared to do it. Not sure why Subaru's are awkward, but apparently, they're a sod to convert.

But, I've found a guy, based in Stratford on Avon, who specifically converts Subaru's to LPG! Turns out he's been doing this for a while, drives a Legacy Turbo he's converted to LPG, so in theory, he knows what he's doing.....

I've got my car booked in with him on the 11th, for probably 3 days. He's also said he'll happily put in a channel for all my car-audio cabling - nice one! Price is bloody good too

If people are interested (and probably if you're not I'll keep you posted
Old 28 January 2002, 10:32 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Hate to be slightly negative, but in my experience an successful LPG conversion can only be judged after several weeks. Best of luck
Old 28 January 2002, 10:38 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

I for one look forward to hearing how you get on with it all.
Good luck!
Old 29 January 2002, 02:43 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've heard various reports about the LPG conversions. From what I've heard, it seems that Subaru's are some of the pickiest cars to convert, since they're boxer engines. But, boxer engines lend themselves very well to conversions?! :O

Anyway, if someone says they specifically work only on Scooby's, that's good enough for me. Plus, of course, I've got the 2.5, rather than the 2.0litre engine, so it shouldn't be too underpowered afterwards. At least, that's what I'm counting on!
Old 29 January 2002, 02:50 PM
imatrukahs
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm,we run a Focus with it,but they are aggro and quite frankly i dont like driving it!!!No performance difference,but its takes up your spare wheel well,which is only good for 200 miles.You tried filling one up...LOL,its fecking dangerous!!BTW dont recomend doing it on a turbo,hi-performance car.........so you should be alright with a slow old Scooby...LOL.

GET A DIESEL!!!!
Old 29 January 2002, 04:47 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Subaru France do LPG conversions on NA engines - sold from the dealers - outback and forester especially - check out the 'GPL' links on www.subaru.fr

Paul W
Old 29 January 2002, 04:56 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Had a diesel - had two !

So, now I've got a Legacy estate. I'm going for something like a 100Litre tank, across the front of the boot. Stereo system's going around it

Know what you mean about filling up, but then, if it reduces my monthly fuel bill from £400 to £250, I'm not complaining!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 30 January 2002, 08:50 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

LPG, thats the same stuff they use for central heating & in hot air balloons, only they dont pay fuel duty!!!!!!
Is this the cheapest way to run a car.
I feel a scheme coming on!!!!!
Old 30 January 2002, 09:03 AM
JayDee
Scooby Regular

Interesting thing about LPG is its enormous octane rating - about 110 IIRC

Therefore in theory and with perhaps bigger injectors, a bigger turbo, and a well mapped chip it should be possible to get big power without dreaded det.

Anyone done any work on this? (not just on subaru but any turbo)

JD
Old 30 January 2002, 10:12 AM
globbits
Scooby Regular

JayDee - you're both right and wrong about the octane rating malarkey. From my extensive (!) research, (http://www.go-lpg.co.uk) the octane rating is a little higher, but because the fuel is a purer fuel, it burns faster. So, you don't get as useable a bang as you do from petrol. (I think it's the same principle behind diesel giving more torque - it burns slower, so works better.)

My Legacy 2.5 gives 28mpg at the moment. I'm expecting that to drop by 5-10% on LPG, call that a round 25mpg. But, fuel is 38p/litre, rather than 69p/litre. They reckon costs go down by 40% - which is nice.

Stuart J, just so you know, it's relatively easy to convert normally aspirated cars to LPG - even scooby's. But, apparently, turbos are a lot more of a pain. Still, since blokey who's doing mine has converted his Legacy turbo, it must be possible. I'll have words and see if he's interested in talking turkey!

[Edited by globbits - 1/30/2002 10:13:12 AM]
Old 30 January 2002, 10:48 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

I would also be interested in fiding out how it goes. I know a few people who've had their cars and vans converted and driven them extensivly. The only hard bit is the range you get cos of the size of the tank, and you have to know where you can buy the stuff. I've just found one round the corner from my place selling at 35.9p. It's a pity there are more LPG stations about.