Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fitted quickshift, now noisey between gears

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2008, 02:17 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fitted quickshift, now noisey between gears

Fitted a B&M clone (EP Racing, ebay job) quickshift a couple of days ago, but I'm worried about the whooshing noise that the 'box is making when the gear lever is between gears. It's worse when changing from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th. Moving the lever sideways from it's sprung position in the 3rd/4th plane also makes the same noise.
From what I know, it seems that the noise is due to the shift linkage being moved higher after fitting the quickshift, and maybe having pressure put on it by the rubber boot that it goes through on its way to the gearbox. Is the 'cure' to remove the linkage and put more of a bend in it so it once again meets the gearbox at the same angle, or revert back to the original Subaru lever to prevent any damage?

Any more information on this phenomenon (spelling) would be much appreciated.

cheers
Slim
Old 08 April 2008, 03:14 PM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

Ive been thinkin about getting one of these too, but worried about buyin a copy off ebay, not that much money but still... has anyone else had any problems like this with the ebay specials?, hope you sort out your problem mate
Old 08 April 2008, 03:53 PM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pinchers
Ive been thinkin about getting one of these too, but worried about buyin a copy off ebay, not that much money but still... has anyone else had any problems like this with the ebay specials?, hope you sort out your problem mate
Cheers Pinchers, the actual build quality isn't that bad for less than 1/2 the price of a real B&M, even has roller bearings installed and the fit is good. Mine came with a pair of rusty centre spindles (not oiled, just sealed in a plastic bag, so must have sat in water at some point) that the bearings fit over which put a bit of a downer on things. I emailed EP to send a clean set, but their reply was they had emailed their 'supplier' about the problem. I did clean up the piece I needed and greased it well before installing, as it's not critical on a gear lever! Packaging is not great either, the shifter was in a bag and the spacers etc in another, but the two were free to rattle about in the box they came in. No instructions either, but then it's very easy to find what goes where once you have your original shifter off.
Easy to fit, tools required: 1x crosshead screwdriver, 2x 12mm spanners or sockets, 1x hammer, 1x block of wood.

Last edited by slimnotshady; 08 April 2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08 April 2008, 05:21 PM
pinchers
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info,
I will keep an eye on this to see if you find out whats causing the noise, only thing worrying me now