Another wheel bearing thread!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2008, 08:13 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another wheel bearing thread!

Hi all,

I am wandering if anyone can tell me the part number of a wheel bearing for a 2003 JDm STI Spec C? Its for the front drivers side.

Also after searching there seems to be a common trait that the hub suffers drastically when the wheel bearing goes! Does the bearing have to completely collapse for this to happen? or does it occur even when the bearing just starts to give out!

I guess my next obvious question would be are the standard UK spec hubs the same as the JDM ones and are they the same as the Spec C ones?

Thanks
Old 26 March 2008, 07:14 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Anyone?

Ok so if nobody seems to know the part number, can anyone confirm that a standard uk spec one will fit.

Also is it better in anyones oppinion to get a genuine part as opposed to another make of part?

Cheers
Old 27 March 2008, 09:53 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

full list here ScoobyIreland.com

Manuals

NorthUrsalia.com: 2002+ Impreza Parts

Last edited by bushiwarrior; 27 March 2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:44 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info in the links etc....but am I being blind as cant seem to find the part number which relates to wheel bearings.
Old 28 March 2008, 11:19 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Refering to your initial thoughts about the bearing collapsing, my NS front bearing was in perfect condition when removed from the hub. The noise was coming from the fact that the inner bearing race, that is an interference fit on the stub axle, had rotated and worn away the stub axle it sits on. I have a pic somewhere if needs be.

Anyway, this means that not only do you need the bearing, you need the stub axle too. Unless that is you feel like removing the race from the stub axle and placing it onto the new one. If it's off the car then you may as well change the bearing too.

I found that I could get the stub axle out without a press but I don't see anyway to get the bearing back together in the hub without one.

Wayne.
Old 29 March 2008, 01:30 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Refering to your initial thoughts about the bearing collapsing, my NS front bearing was in perfect condition when removed from the hub. The noise was coming from the fact that the inner bearing race, that is an interference fit on the stub axle, had rotated and worn away the stub axle it sits on. I have a pic somewhere if needs be.

Anyway, this means that not only do you need the bearing, you need the stub axle too. Unless that is you feel like removing the race from the stub axle and placing it onto the new one. If it's off the car then you may as well change the bearing too.

I found that I could get the stub axle out without a press but I don't see anyway to get the bearing back together in the hub without one.

Wayne.
Hi Wayne,

I have just been and taken the wheel bearing off of mine - and it seems that the same thig has happened to me with the stub axle wearing itself away from what seemed like quite a good bearing.

Typically Subaru are now closed and I have to wait until next week now to get the part.

I did however manage to get all the bearings out and on again without the need for a press.
I learnt a neat little trick from the garage I was using - that putting a bead of MIG weld around the inner of the bearing you are trying to remove shrinks it slightly (shrink being wrong I know - but pulls it away from the hub wall!!!) and makes it loads easier to knock out with the correct size bit of steel and lump hammer!

So now I am SOOOOOO looking froward to the delightful experience which is speaking to Subaru parts department asking for a Japanese import car! When will this experience get better - its ridiculous in this day and age.
Old 29 March 2008, 10:57 PM
~~ Cal ~~
Scooby Regular

Hi - I saw your post on Northloop

I shall see you there on those dates. Unless you are REALLY hooning it then I would not worry too much abouth this issue.

Treat the Ring as a very long B-road.........your brakes do get a chance to cool and unless you are beasting along I would not be overly concerned about bearings ( no harm as a precaution though I suppose )

Cheers
Cal, Silver WRX 2006 Wagon with PPP
Old 30 March 2008, 12:52 AM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

hi cal. Be great to see you at the ring. Am sure everything will be fine. Driving over with a couple of other scoobies and some evos too. I shall certainly look out for you when there. Counting the weeks now.
As for the bearings and brakes. I am taking spares of both!!!
Old 30 March 2008, 10:33 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

This is the stub axle I removed. The top section is where the race was spinning and the lower darker section is where the other side was seated correctly.

I think mine was caused by the crappy roads around Sheffield.

Wayne.
Old 02 April 2008, 06:54 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

Thats looks exactly like the one I took off of mine! Apart from a different ABS sensing ring
Well good old Subaru dont have a hub in the UK apparently and also dont even have an ETA for their next shipment - I have never dealt with such a cr@p company in all my life I swear. So I have just bought both sides from a scrap car. I have put it staright on for now but now have a spare axle and also a new bearing should either side give up the go!

Congratulations Subaru UK you get the worst parts supply award from me
Old 02 April 2008, 08:03 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I used a second hand part for mine too. I pulled the stub axle out, checked it and put fitted it into my existing hub with a new bearing.

Wayne.